Yeti GOBOX Collection

Helping your fellow hunter

Gr8bawana

Just need to vent a little.
Last week when we were hunting for my cow elk we ran into a guy who was coming down the road in a side by side utv. He stopped to chat and told us his friend of 73 years old had gotten a cow that morning. Being the good man he is my brother asked if he needed any help getting it out. He thanked for the offer but said he had 2 guys down at his pick-up to help him out.
Now fast forward 2 days later when we were packing out my cow, my son was packing the 2 front quarers and my brother and I were packing a hundquarter and a backstrap each. As we were nearing a road we noticed a truck parked and watching us through binos when we were only about 500 yards away from him. He watched us for a couple of miutes then drove away. Our vehicle was nowhere to be seen and was in fact 2 more miles down the road.
Had I seen someone who was obviously packing out a load of game I would have waited for them to get to the road and ask them if they needed a ride to where ever their vehicle was, even if I could only take one of them.
I guess we can't expect other people to be as friendly and helpfull as we try to be.
Am I expecting too much from others?

Im with you on this one. Ive helped a few old timers at the boat ramp before. I sure hope somebody would help me if I needed it.

I don't believe you are. We are all out there for the same reason and should act like it. Its kind of like people who ask for info on here and get smart comments instead of shared knowledge. Doesn't happen often but when it does it gives me the notion they are a lot like the guy in the truck who drove away. I guess all we can do is lead by example and hope others catch on.

I believe in paying it forward. Good karma can't be a bad thing, help a fellow hunter and some day some one can help me when needed. I like your style.

i've been both of those people. I'm happy to give someone a ride, water, or anything else I've got that I can spare that they need. I've also had people give me rides, when I've come out a different draw than I went in. Saved a ton of walking on the road, and we got to share a beer when we got to the truck. If we can't all help each other out, what does that say about us as a society.

He was hating on you instead of being happy for you. Most likely never left the warmth of his truck the whole day. Congrats on your groups harvest. Sorry about the negative incident.

i've been both of those people. I'm happy to give someone a ride, water, or anything else I've got that I can spare that they need. I've also had people give me rides, when I've come out a different draw than I went in. Saved a ton of walking on the road, and we got to share a beer when we got to the truck. If we can't all help each other out, what does that say about us as a society.

Good guy right here. Has helped me more then just once.

I have always offered to help. I have had people just drive right by me as I was walking down the road, after having hiked eight miles in rough country for the day.

Everybody is different and you never know how people will react. I have had a lot of fun running into strangers in the field and hunting together, also.

It's just what you do. Called being decent.
You do it where I live ,or some folks die.
Hunting,stopped by the side of the road,walking out here miles from anything.

I get what you're saying. I have no problem helping anyone out whenever I can, but I don't go out of my way looking to help people. Maybe I should try to be friendlier and more helpful to others. I would understand if you were hiking down the road and the guy just blew by you without so much as slowing down, but you were 500 yards out. I wasn't there so you know the situation better than I do, but maybe just try to look at it from a different prospective. Maybe the guy wasn't looking at you specifically and was just glassing around, maybe you were so far out he couldn't tell you were packing out meat, maybe he saw 3 of you and thought you had all the help you needed. Maybe the guy was a dick and didn't want to help, or maybe he was just oblivious to the fact that you could have used a little help.

I'd have offered help, no doubt. I'd have also offered food, water, and anything else I had in my truck.

Personally, I don't expect help from others, but am very gracious when it is offered.

I was once ice fishing on Red Lake in northern MN, miles from shore. The air temp was -30 and it was windy. I was running to shore for more bait and noticed a guy with the hood up on his truck. I stopped and gave him a jumpstart. Two days later I was picking up to head home and, sure enough, I had a dead battery. I looked out and, much to my relief, there was the same guy driving by. I waved him down, only to have him tell me that he "didn't have time" to help me and he drove off. I walked 1/2 mile to the nearest other person, who also refused to drive over and help me. I left the trip feeling pretty sick about others. In reality, though, 90% of the people I run into on my adventures are very nice and helpful.

I've always stopped to help other hunters when they were having problems with vehicles or game retrieval. I'm glad I did, now that I'm old and worn-out. I've gotten a lot of help from other sportspeople lately, maybe it's because of what's left of the white hair or the limp, but I've met more nice, friendly folks than I have of the self-centered, me-first types. Maybe I'm just lucky that way.

Unfortunately, I find if I don't hold expectations for others, I am pleasantly surprised when such appreciative actions do take place. On occasion I lose focus of that and find I get a bit peeved. Which of the two do I prefer? I'll take, "pleasantly surprised" though as mentioned, sometimes I lose focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back