PEAX Equipment

Wild Game Salvage Laws

LandDiver

I just read Montana passed a new "Wild Game Salvage Law." When I'm not sure. I've always been interested in seeing people's opinion on it, as it seems to always differ. I'm personally for it. I just read a post where somebody saw a cow elk 20 yards off the side of the road laying down. So he turned around to see what was going on with her because it's unusual behavior. Upon getting close he realized she had a broken front leg and most likely wouldn't make it through winter. He immediately called the game warden and he dispatched the cow elk. He was able to take the animal home and process it for his family.

What are your thoughts on this?

I wonder how this differs from the existing salvage law. The past two years my brother has got two whitetails under the law. One was stuck in fence and was put down by a sheriff's deputy and the other was just dead, they think hit by a car. He just printed out the tags and processed the critters.

We've had a game salvage law for a few years now. Is there something new I hadn't heard about?

As for the taking it, I think its a fine idea. I would take one I just hit, or saw put down. If I didn't know how long it had been there I wouldn't.

I think it's a good deal. If I total my truck hitting an elk, I want a consolation prize.

The local fire chief told me the other day that he has documented over 100 deer hit on the interstate in the last year between Jefferson City and Montana City. That's over 7 deer a mile in the last year!

I drove by this guy on the way to the dump the other day. On my way home a guy was sawing his antlers off.

Attachments

• DeadDeer.jpg
    DeadDeer.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 128
A neighbor and I picked up a doe that was hit in town last winter and got a salvage tag. We made the entire deer into summer sausage. We saw it get hit on the way home from work one evening.

I think the change has been positive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back