Question on the Colorado Ranching for Wildlife Program

windymtnman

I was reading another post in this Elk forum about accessing landlocked public lands, and the conversations morphed into a discussion about Randy Newberg's denial of a filming permit and hunting access to Federal lands in N.W. Colorado. Admittedly, I've never spent any time looking at the Ranching for Wildlife program, as it won't ever apply to me. However, what I understood from what I'd read, is that a large ranch had acquired a huge chunk of prime Federal lands for their exclusive use in their hunting concession. With that, they were also able to then increase the number of landowner tags they could obtain in their Ranching for Wildlife program.
This piqued my curiosity enough to look at this ranches website. I found a posh, very expensive enterprise that advertises their Elk & Mule Deer hunts at $9250.00 for either species. The amenities they offer are so extravagant, that a person would be torn between the hunting and the kicking back at their lodge. Don't misunderstand, I'm all for capitalism, and if folks can command $700.00/night just to stay there, more power to them.
Here's what I don't understand. In looking at Colorado Parks & Wildlife website, this is in part what they say about their Ranching for Wildlife program. I quote here:
"The program ​provides Colorado residents a unique opportunity to hunt on priva​te ranch land normally closed to the public. Participating ranches provide public hunting recreation access to their lan​d free of charge to those who draw licenses."
Given this states a landowner must allow hunters to hunt free of charge, how do they get away with charging $9250.00 for a hunt? I also can't figure out how a private landowner can make these deals with our Federal lands? If the CPW program was designed to allow hunting access to private lands, this is a pathetic joke. This sounds like a great opportunity for a pro bono lawyer project to me? Then, aside from not being able to hunt these lands, can it even be trespassed on if you want to go for a hike? Seems like a landowner can get free lands, no purchase price, no taxes on it, and a free game inventory to use at the expense of every tax payer in the USA.
Am I missing something here? If I'm interpreting this correctly, every hunter and other user of public lands ought to be livid.

Utah has a similar program called Conservation Wildlife Management Unit (CWMU). While not the exact same in CO, the info may answer some of your questions. In that program, only residents are allowed to draw tags and are allowed to hunt that property free of any charge over the state tag fee. The property owner must give a minimum percentage of tags to the draw. The rest they can sell for what they can get. Some do have public lands enrolled into them. In Utah they are their own units and the boundary is set by the DNR, no permission/cooperation from the federal agency is needed. If legal access to those lands exists, you can still access them for all forms of recreation, including hunting. The devilish detail is that in UT the DNR sets up the CWMU as a seperate hunting unit per species. If a CWMU is set up for elk, one can only hunt elk on that included public land if you have the appropriate CWMU elk tag. All other manner of legal game can be hunted on those public pieces.

These programs can show the interplay between federal public lands management and state wildlife management...

I was reading another post in this Elk forum about accessing landlocked public lands, and the conversations morphed into a discussion about Randy Newberg's denial of a filming permit and hunting access to Federal lands in N.W. Colorado. Admittedly, I've never spent any time looking at the Ranching for Wildlife program, as it won't ever apply to me. However, what I understood from what I'd read, is that a large ranch had acquired a huge chunk of prime Federal lands for their exclusive use in their hunting concession. With that, they were also able to then increase the number of landowner tags they could obtain in their Ranching for Wildlife program.
This piqued my curiosity enough to look at this ranches website. I found a posh, very expensive enterprise that advertises their Elk & Mule Deer hunts at $9250.00 for either species. The amenities they offer are so extravagant, that a person would be torn between the hunting and the kicking back at their lodge. Don't misunderstand, I'm all for capitalism, and if folks can command $700.00/night just to stay there, more power to them.
Here's what I don't understand. In looking at Colorado Parks & Wildlife website, this is in part what they say about their Ranching for Wildlife program. I quote here:
"The program ​provides Colorado residents a unique opportunity to hunt on priva​te ranch land normally closed to the public. Participating ranches provide public hunting recreation access to their lan​d free of charge to those who draw licenses."
Given this states a landowner must allow hunters to hunt free of charge, how do they get away with charging $9250.00 for a hunt? I also can't figure out how a private landowner can make these deals with our Federal lands? If the CPW program was designed to allow hunting access to private lands, this is a pathetic joke. This sounds like a great opportunity for a pro bono lawyer project to me? Then, aside from not being able to hunt these lands, can it even be trespassed on if you want to go for a hike? Seems like a landowner can get free lands, no purchase price, no taxes on it, and a free game inventory to use at the expense of every tax payer in the USA.
Am I missing something here? If I'm interpreting this correctly, every hunter and other user of public lands ought to be livid.

You are right on and that is part of the reason that I will not spend my hunting dollars in Colorado. That borders on criminal to me.

The CPW commission is filled with folks from the agriculture, ranching and outfitting communities.
http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/CommissionMembers.aspx
Selling big game tags is easy money for them. Every year they try some new scheme to put more tags into the hands of private land owners. They keep chipping away at the pool of tags available to the general public. This effort will continue until the make up of the commission changes, which is unlikely. If you're a big rancher, outfitter, or wealthy hunter who can buy one of their premium tags, this is great stuff. For the average hunter like me, this just means reduced opportunity, point creep, etc. It's not just Colorado either. Look at the auction tags in Utah and the recent scandal in Idaho.

I've heard complaints about many ranches in the RFW program. Hunters are denied access to the entire property, access is allowed only during certain times, etc. If you have a hunter paying $9k vs. a public hunter who drew in the draw, who do you think they're catering too? They don't want a public hunter shooting a trophy animal they believe should go to a paying customer. That said, I believe some hunters have a good experiences with RFW too. If you're considering a RFW hunt, do your homework.

Greed and the almighty dollar are going to destroy the western hunting experience as we know it.

They're given tags they can sell, in exchange, the public can put in for a certain number of tags to hunt on the same property. Only residents are allowed to hunt on the draw tags. Iv'e heard mixed feedback on the program. Some people really seem to enjoy it and have a quality experience, others not so much. Personally, I feel the system somewhat favors the paying clients. However, if I didn't have my eye on a unit 76 rifle tag, I wouldn't be opposed to hunting them. I will probably end up putting my wife and kids (when they are old enough) in for those hunts for cows.

When I looked into it I got the impression the land owner could prevent over night presence. Forget that shit. I'm in country long before daylight, I'm there long after dark and I'm patrolling in-between, sleeping during the noon hours. Besides, I don't like using other people's private property.

I think that the only thing that really bothers me about this program, is their ability to lock people out of public land that is within the RFW boundaries. They have taken the non-residents out of the equation-except for expensive guided hunts-and then also locked them out of public land. It is amazing that this has been allowed to continue.

Ok so I was looking through the archives and came across this post. I should say in full disclosure that I live and work on a ranch in Colorado that is in the ranching for wildlife program.
In the first place, yes we do charge a large amount of money for bull elk hunts. You may ask where do we get the tags? Good question, we get a portion of the total tags available in the unit. We get these tags through several means, the first is we do different projects to help wildlife (in our part of the country it is usually related to water) but we also clear sagebrush and juniper groves and the second is to allow public hunters access to the private ground for increased odds of success.
You could argue that the program only benefits certain people but you would be mistaken in that assumption. Through the water projects and the sagebrush and juniper clearing it provides habitat and winter range for elk and deer herds so every one benefits. In the early 2000's a local biologist collared 90 yearling bull elk, all were collared out of the unit that we are in, those bulls were killed from southern Idaho to Gunnison Colorado, to Laramie Wyoming. That is a distance of 250 miles!
Let's look at the numbers, we get 3 bull elk tags and 1 buck tag that we are allowed to sell. In exchange we allow access to our land for 1 bull elk hunter, 1 buck hunter and 15 cow elk hunter with each hunter having an extra voucher for a total of 30 cow elk that public hunters can take. In addition we also take 3 youth hunters who have never been hunting before on guided cow elk hunts with a nearly 95% success rate.
As for land use we can only hunt private land that is in the program plus what ever BLM that is already land locked or state ground that we have a recreation lease on. We can not, please read, can not either hunt on or trespass anyone who is on BLM, and to be perfectly honest I don't like trespassing anyone, even if they are on private.
Just a clarification not mad at anyone but I do know that RFW ranches have left a bad taste in some of your mouths.

When I lived in CO I loved the RFW cow hunts. Great fun with my wife. Would love to be a resident again to get my kids out on a good starter hunt. Also the habitat work done on that ranch was amazing. We saw a huge variety of game birds, bears, rabbits, deer, elk, bears etc.

Back