Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Knife

Buck Zipper or Vanguard if you want a fixed blade. Buck 110 for folding. I love my Buck Zipper and the thing is bomb proof.

I can like the suggestions above, but with a twist. Get one with S30V steel or similar. It gets super sharp and stays that way a long time. My next one will have this type or similar steel in it.

I have a Cabelas branded Buck 110 with that steel and it is super. I just wish it was drop point shaped blade and not a clip point.

I can like the suggestions above, but with a twist. Get one with S30V steel or similar. It gets super sharp and stays that way a long time. My next one will have this type or similar steel in it.

I have a Cabelas branded Buck 110 with that steel and it is super. I just wish it was drop point shaped blade and not a clip point.

I second the S30V steel. I have two SOG S30V knives that I got from Camofire that are great. I have a custom that has D2 in it, which is great, too. The whole key, though, is being able to sharpen a knife correctly.

Buck 110 is great as is the Vanguard. I bought one of the Vanguards with the wood handle for a buddy and it's a great knife.

Ruana Knives in Bonner Montana makes a nice functional knife as well. I have one and each of my son's has one. http://www.ruanaknives.com/casthandle.aspx

Of course the Benchmade knives are great also. This is a dandy, the Saddle Mountain Skinner http://www.benchmade.com/saddle-mountain-skinner-family.html

For a pocket type knife the Mini-Barrage is fantastic also. I have one and really like it a lot. http://www.benchmade.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mini+barrage

The best knife I've ever used in the field. Unzips a deer or elk as fast as any other knife, very safe, and very sharp. Had mine for 10 years and have no idea how many animals it has field dressed and skinned.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 669
Not an overly popular knife but I've had a Cutco Drop Point for years. It's skinned/dressed/cleaned countless critters. Holds an edge extremely well and nice grippy handle, as well as a nice sheath. Lifetime guarantee and free sharpening if you don't care to do it yourself. Not to mention you can usually pick one up on eBay for below face value and send it in and they'll touch it up if needed. Great knife. I'd like to upgrade my fillet knife to their Fisherman's Solution soon.
https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=drop-point-knife#sm.0001krsnkcl3udlwru41qr502js4h

Not an overly popular knife but I've had a Cutco Drop Point for years. It's skinned/dressed/cleaned countless critters. Holds an edge extremely well and nice grippy handle, as well as a nice sheath. Lifetime guarantee and free sharpening if you don't care to do it yourself. Not to mention you can usually pick one up on eBay for below face value and send it in and they'll touch it up if needed. Great knife. I'd like to upgrade my fillet knife to their Fisherman's Solution soon.
https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=drop-point-knife#sm.0001krsnkcl3udlwru41qr502js4h

Where I worked we have Cutco roadshows every 4-6 months I have almost bought them every time just keep on hearing bad things about them online.

Where I worked we have Cutco roadshows every 4-6 months I have almost bought them every time just keep on hearing bad things about them online.
I bought my dad on years ago that I have inherited. They are very sharp out of the box and the design keeps 'em that way for a long time.

First time dad used his was to clean some squirrels him and I had shot. I was the designated critter holder while he worked the knife. Darn near lost the end of a digit as the knife cut much better than he expected! :D

If you are looking at a knife to only gut stuff, I wouldn't over think it. I am not a fan of havalon, but if all you are doing is cutting a 3' line on the underside of a deer, it works fine.

Google "commercial butchering knives" if you are requiring more from a knife.

I have been using Victorinox for quite some time, but there are plenty that work great and don't cost an Ingram. Life is too short for an ugly wife, not an ugly knife. :p

My dad has had the same Buck 110 for the past 25 years or so. I tried the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife this year and can't stand it. For Christmas I decided to get my dad a new 110...and picked one up for myself. I'm really looking forward to breaking it in this fall.

They look nice - but a tad more than I would like to spend. Need to save up for new glass and tags

There are several things to consider, when buying a knife. Are you worried about weight? Are you adept at sharpening them? How much do you want to spend? Are you concerned about it holding an edge, or will you carry a stone? Do you want fixed, or folding?

The Shrade knives are good, reasonably-priced knives. I have several that have been given as gifts and all have done deer just fine. They sharpen easily and do OK with sharpness retention.

Buck knives are reasonably priced and their basic steel is pretty good and there is a good selection to fit your needs. You also have the option with them for better steel at a bit higher price. Buck makes a tough knife, for sure. I own a couple that I have been totally satisfied with.

I have two SOG knives that I got off Camofire.com for $63 each shipped. They are great knives and hold a good edge with the S30V steel. I have done one elk and a deer or two with them this fall and I like them real well. They are also very light weight.

I personally do not like Gerber knives, as I have yet to find one that has been anything but a glorified screw driver, but some may argue that point.

A while back, I traded Cushman out of an Outdoor Edge Swingblade. It is a well-made knife and has no problem doing a deer. I am not that fond of AUS8 steel, as it is a bit soft, but that steel is really easy to put an edge back on after the job is finished. I dressed at least 20 deer with it this last summer/fall and the knife did its job well. One thing that I like about Outdoor Edge, is that I asked a question as to the reasoning behind using AUS8 steel and David Bloch himself answered my questions. Now THAT is customer service and I will continue to give thumbs-up to their products.

If you cannot, or do not want to mess with sharpening knives, then the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knives are OK. I personally prefer a bit more solid blade, but that is just me. I have traded one off and I have recently acquired another one through Eastman's Hunting. It rode along as a backup on my elk hunt, but was not used. They weigh nearly nothing, which is a plus if you are an ounce watcher.

I had a Havalon replaceable for awhile and traded it off, too. The knife was light and did its job well skinning raccoons etc., but personally I thought the blades were a bit flimsy for my liking. There again, just my opinion.

Custom knives are great, if you have the money to spend on them. They are usually a work of art to boot. I have one custom that a knife maker in Las Cruces, New Mexico, by the name of Cody Wescott made for me years ago. He only charged me $150 and it is an amazing knife. I think that he is dead now, unfortunately. It is a big, heavy knife made of D-2 steel. It is a fantastic knife, but I use lighter options now.

Good luck with your choice and you should at least buy two, or three, just to make sure that you cover all of your bases!:hump:

I may even have a couple extras I would turn loose of for a very reasonable price!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back