Sons first deer

Jasher

We live in Indiana and he had been hunting for years here. Trying to find a place to hunt has become a real issue here since there's only 2.8% of the land that is public and then not all public land can be huntedone on. I entered him into the Colorado draw for 2nd season since it had the best odds to draw. There were 4 youth tags given out and he was one of them. On the 4th day of the hunt and many miles on the boots he took this really nice buck at 11:30 am. We only seen 4 bucks the entire time. The one he took 2 that were with him and one the day before that someone must have bumped because he was running in the open around 2 in the afternoon.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1484787047414.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484787047414.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 319
We live half way between indianapolis and terre haute not far from I 70. I'm not sure who was more excited me or him. I'm sure glad I made the deal that I was carrying the backpack in and he carried it back. We were 1 1/2 miles from the truck.

Very well done!! Congrats to your son!

We live half way between indianapolis and terre haute not far from I 70. I'm not sure who was more excited me or him. I'm sure glad I made the deal that I was carrying the backpack in and he carried it back. We were 1 1/2 miles from the truck.
IIRC that Healthy Rivers INitiative has open some ground to the public for hunting in that part of the state. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/healthyriver/7638.htm

Congrats! That's one heck of a first deer. Just another example of the importance of public lands.

Very well done!! Congrats to your son!

IIRC that Healthy Rivers INitiative has open some ground to the public for hunting in that part of the state. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/healthyriver/7638.htm

We went there and so did about 50 other people so it was a little to crowded for me. We did end up going to Cecil M Harden lake. I got a small 8 point which I was happy with considering how hard that area had been hunted

We went there and so did about 50 other people so it was a little to crowded for me. We did end up going to Cecil M Harden lake. I got a small 8 point which I was happy with considering how hard that area had been hunted
Congrats! The smaller public land areas can get a bit crowded during the opening weekend of gun season. I grew up hunting Sugar Ridge in the far south part of the state and hunt near some public ground around Patoka Lake now. Both of those are places one can get away from the crowds if the choose to.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back