MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Custer N.F. in SE MT

C_Dick_Run

Hey all,

Anybody have any experience with hunting elk in the Custer N.F. in SE Montana? I'm looking at putting in for the 900-20 archery only tag which is good for district 704 (among a few others). I know there are elk out there, but are the numbers good enough to make it worth putting in for the tag? The tag is good for either sex, and although I would like to get a bull (like everybody else) I wouldn't pass up a cow after the first couple weeks and the peak of the rut has passed. Thanks in advance for your thoughts folks.

Be prepared to have many days without seeing any elk. The few elk move a lot and also spend a lot of time on private land. But there are elk, just low numbers on public land.

Will be funny to see the draw odds of the 900 elk permit this time vs. the past. Not to mention the skew on where those already getting it and where they plan to hunt this year. Combat elk hunting...

I heard somebody caught a big one here..

Attachments

• IMG_5954.JPG
    IMG_5954.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,744
Will be funny to see the draw odds of the 900 elk permit this time vs. the past. Not to mention the skew on where those already getting it and where they plan to hunt this year. Combat elk hunting...

I heard somebody caught a big one here..

LOL!

Very few elk on public land in there and like Schmalts said, you may never see one.

I hunted it last year. Got into some elk on the forest here and there. Was more pressure than any general unit I had hunted in MT. Its very roaded and the philosophy of pushing in farther to get away from the crowds does not apply here. The most surprising thing was how educated and intelligent the elk were out there. I had zero success calling, which was hard for me to adapt to coming from the mtns of SW MT. I got busted by elk doing things that I've never been busted for before. A small part of me wants to try it again after getting my ass handed to me the way I did last year, but doubt I will.

I am thinking that a guy could have other places covered by the 900-20 licence all to his self for the next few years.

Is it at least less crowded in archery season as opposed to rifle? I've heard that place turns into a zoo in October which is why I was thinking archery only.

Archery can be busy as well. I believe it will be picking up more so for the next few years. I hunted during archery this year and saw more hunters than in years past.

I wouldn't count on it being that much less crowed. If there isn't any one around during archery you are likely hunting where there are few elk.

And so it has begun............you may go weeks without seeing any but there are some around. Good luck

Shoot not what I was hoping to hear, sounds like I may just stick with the same general unit we hunted last year. Might still have to make a scouting trip or two out there. Thanks for your opinions guys

Did you think we were going to say, Come on down, that 430 bull was one of the small ones.

I think the advice given is pretty accurate. Nothing wrong with making a scouting trip, just remember the elk you find in Aug may make a mad dash for private land when people show up the first of Sept.

Haha of course not. When I said numbers in my original post I was referring to population, not antler score. That's a good point that they will likely scatter regardless of where they are in the summer

Did you think we were going to say, Come on down, that 430 bull was one of the small ones.

I think the advice given is pretty accurate. Nothing wrong with making a scouting trip, just remember the elk you find in Aug may make a mad dash for private land when people show up the first of Sept.

You mean they aren't behind every tree?:)

OP, you're getting some good advice here. Hunt it if you want, just be aware that it can be tough.

Back