Opportunity for Action in Idaho: SnakeOil Salesman from UT Has a Bill Sponsor IDLeg

JoseCuervo

Everybody's favorite SnakeOil Salesman from Utah has found a willing dupe to write his legislation calling for a Constitutional Convention to address the transfer of Public Lands.

If you want to call Tom Lortschner and introduce yourself as a hunter, who believes that Idaho does not need to take marching orders from a SnakeOil Salesman like Ken Ivory from Utah, you can reach Tom at:

• [email protected]
  • or at (208) 313-6405

• [email protected]
    District 32
    House Seat B
    7th term
    (Served 8 terms, House 1986-2002)
    1357 Bone Road, Iona, 83427
    Home (208) 522-3072
    Farmer/Rancher

It would be fun to see his phone ring tomorrow morning on a snowy Thursday with people telling him they are hunters and don't support his efforts to steal your Public Lands.

If you are out of State, tell him you frequently hunt near his home district in SouthEast Idaho.

Public lands transfer backers seek convention of states to amend Constitution

SALT LAKE CITY — A leader in the effort to force the transfer of Western federal lands to state control believes calling a convention of states to change the U.S. Constitution is the best path forward.

Utah state Rep. Ken Ivory, R*West Jordan, said states’ rights advocates are already laying the groundwork for a convention.

The federal government owns nearly half of the land in the West, which Ivory believes has tied up resources and put the region’s states at an economic disadvantage. He contends public lands are also in poor health due to federal neglect.

Under Article 5 of the Constitution, two*thirds of states may call a convention, and proposed amendments must be ratified by three*fourths of state legislatures. Eight states have already passed resolutions calling for a convention. Idaho has a bill in the works to join the list. Thus far, the constitution has been revised only through congressional action.

“Now millions of people are working to convene a convention of states,” said Ivory, who is a lawyer and was picked as the first senior legislative adviser to the Convention of States Project. The project has volunteers working in all 50 states to “restore the checks and balances that were put in place on our federal government.”

Ivory and Idaho Rep. Tom Loertscher, R-*Iona, participated in a simulated convention of states last September in Virginia, addressing a host of perceived federal overreaches.

Loertscher said the bill he’s drafting to codify Idaho’s support of a convention should easily pass the House of Representatives, and he’s seeking help in the Senate. He said the bill endorses a convention to address “fiscal matters, overreach of the federal government and term limits,” and it could encompass public lands transfer.

“With all of the federal lands in Idaho, we’re operating with one hand tied behind our back,” Loertscher said. “We don’t have the tax base for all of that land.”

Ivory’s home state is also pursuing litigation and congressional action to force land transfers. Utah has conducted a legal analysis and set aside $5 million for a federal court battle, and Ivory hopes to “see a much more constitutionally focused Supreme Court.”

Ivory believes President*elect Donald Trump’s selection of Ryan Zinke, R*Mont., for Secretary of Interior signifies a roadblock toward a congressional solution. Zinke, an avid hunter, has publicly opposed transferring federal lands.
“(Zinke) walked out on the Republican National Committee and declined to become a delegate because the transfer of public land was part of the GOP platform,” Ivory said.

Brian Brooks, executive director of Idaho Wildlife Foundation, believes Idaho sportsmen overwhelmingly oppose public lands transfer, due to the threat of lost public access and the potential for states to sell the land. Idaho has sold 41 percent of its former state lands, he said. Brooks believes any avenue toward forcing a public lands sale is a long shot, but he’s taking the threat seriously, as advocates of the concept are well financed.

“I feel like there are interests who do not represent the majority of Americans who are going to surround Zinke,” Brooks said.
Do

As a side note, this is what happens when you empower a bunch of anti-government/TeaParty/GOP'ers who think they are going to have a Constitutional Convention to "take our country back".

Ivory is really something else. I hope at least a handful of sportsmen on this forum especially those from Idaho will contact the Idaho guy. Ivorys a lost cause, but we need to be there as a road block at every step these fools take. Good news is their getting desperate!

A constitutional convention...are you kidding me!?!? They are really grasping for straws here.

A constitutional convention...are you kidding me!?!? They are really grasping for straws here.

I know isn't it great how desperate he's looking? Nonetheless, I would ask anyone interested to give the guy in Idaho a call. I thought according to Ivory the constitution already said these lands should be returned? Why does it need to be ratified then? And why the hell is my state setting aside millions for a lawsuit not even Ivory believes in? Anyway, we all must continue to apply the pressure and block this stupid idea at every turn.

I know isn't it great how desperate he's looking? Nonetheless, I would ask anyone interested to give the guy in Idaho a call. I thought according to Ivory the constitution already said these lands should be returned? Why does it need to be ratified then? And why the hell is my state setting aside millions for a lawsuit not even Ivory believes in? Anyway, we all must continue to apply the pressure and block this stupid idea at every turn.

I agree. The guy still needs to receive a bunch of calls explaining to him how foolish this is.

Just got off the phone with ol' Tommy, what a tool.

You guys in Idaho would be wise to send this guy packing the next time he runs for office. He's an unmanned Ken Ivory drone...done drank the Kool-Aid.

When I presented facts, he all of a sudden had an important meeting to attend...funny.

One thing that had me laughing, he said that "The Federal Government is trying to keep hunters out of wilderness areas, that's how bad the over-reach is"...

SMH...what a fool.

Last edited:
I mean he hangs out with Ivory, what could you expect. I left him a message he didn't answer my call last night. There are some not worth the energy, but you gotta try.

I mean he hangs out with Ivory, what could you expect. I left him a message he didn't answer my call last night. There are some not worth the energy, but you gotta try.

Another thing he railed on about on the phone was how the Government is "so far in debt"...just out of curiosity, I looked up Lortschner on the ewg database.

I could think of one way to shore up that deficit by $684,830....seems he farms the government pretty well.

https://farm.ewg.org/persondetail.php?custnumber=A09382137

A quick google search...anyone that makes those phone calls should probably ask Tom why he belly-aches about the national debt and then takes money by the handful from that terribly over-reaching Federal Government:

The two largest recipients of federal ag subsidies, Rep. Tom Loertscher, R-Iona, and Sen. Steve Bair, R-Blackfoot, did not return calls for comment. Loertscher holds a 50 percent stake in H. Willow Ranch Corporation, a recipient of $282,059 in federal dollars, and a 50 percent stake in Loertscher & Loertscher, which took in $684,830 in subsidy dollars. Ronald H. Bair & Sons, an entity in which Sen. Bair holds a 25 percent ownership stake, has taken $1.292 million between 1995 and 2009.

http://idahoreporter.com/16261/millions-in-federal-ag-money-flows-to-idaho-lawmakers/

Called and left him a message this morning, before my daily exercise in plowing snow.

No call back.

AGain, I encourage everybody, no matter what state, to call him and introduce yourself as a hunter, and let him know you consider his actions to be anti-hunting.

I had a little chat with him this afternoon. Apparently "my group" is misinformed. He is pro public land. He has always been pro public land. He only wants to amend the federal constitution to stop government regulation. What regulation? Well, that's a bit less clear. It seems the EPA is out of control. But I'm sure he's right, if we just amend the constitution to disallow "government regulation", I'm sure we'll have a perfect compromise on environmental regulations with no unintended consequences.

I can say it was obvious that the calls touched a nerve. If he keeps it up, so shall I.

I had a little chat with him this afternoon. Apparently "my group" is misinformed. He is pro public land. He has always been pro public land. He only wants to amend the federal constitution to stop government regulation. What regulation? Well, that's a bit less clear. It seems the EPA is out of control. But I'm sure he's right, if we just amend the constitution to disallow "government regulation", I'm sure we'll have a perfect compromise on environmental regulations with no unintended consequences.

I can say it was obvious that the calls touched a nerve. If he keeps it up, so shall I.

I decided to email Mr. Ivory as well, I think it's important that these men hear loud and clear they are not agreed with. Happy to all of those who called, hopefully more call to inform this man he is on the wrong side of history. What was his attitude like towards you?

I

Please keep it up. And every time he advances this idea, his phone needs to ring.

He has not returned my phone call, after identifying myslef as a hunter from Idaho.

If we can find someone who lives in SE Idaho we should collectively draft a Guest Opinion for the local papers over there. Small newspapers love having content written for them for free.

I am sure the 4 phone calls he got this week (and still hoping for more!) were more than he ever gets in a session, let alone a week.

He sounds like he has no substance, other than taking orders from a SnakeOil salesman.

He wasn't rude to me and I tried to be polite in exchange. If anything he seemed confused as to why people were calling him to accuse him of promoting lands transfer efforts, while at the same time unable to clearly articulate what he was really promoting.

At least in my mind, a change to our constitution is a non-trivial thing, and whether for public lands or environmental law and regulations, you're treading on this ice to amend it just because you disagree with public policy.

We have other tools for that. Like voting.

One thing that had me laughing, he said that "The Federal Government is trying to keep hunters out of wilderness areas, that's how bad the over-reach is"...

That is funny especially when we all know it's states like Wyoming that keep nonresident hunters out of wilderness areas.

Back