Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

USDA Trump Appointment US Forest Service / Wilderness

IDK, I know plenty of cancer free farmers, but perhaps there's a link or something. And BTW, organic doesn't always mean chemical free.

But the great thing about the increasing yields is that it allows humans to use less farmland to grow the same amount of food (or more!). I'd rather have less farmland and more wilderness.

What wilderness could be turned into farmland, or vice versa?

That is a weird Strawman argument to make.

And, I said nothing about Organic crops. I was just asking a gentleman from a farming community that has crops and styles of farming much different than we have where I live.

And, I know the farmers around here are getting increasing yields, and cancer. And, many of the chemicals they used in the 80s and 90s have been banned. Replaced by different chemicals.

Also, just remembered a crop duster pilot who got cancer and died.

Now, even more depressed.

Some of the equipment used anymore is unbelievable. One of my wife's childhood friends and his father farm many thousands of acres here in Ohio. A couple of years ago, he dropped a cool $2 million for two brand new combines. I thought he was crazy until I saw how they worked. It is completely gps guided, saves all kinds of info to a flash card that he can then use in his other equipment. The combine records yields, planting and harvesting gps maps so that he has the most efficient harvest possible, etc. He can literally pick his beans or corn, and know how many bushels per acre he is getting real time. The following spring, he can use the yield info on his fertilizer rig and it will dose higher or lower according to what info it has from harvest. It is pretty amazing stuff and his overall harvest went up more than a few percentage points just based on the more efficient harvest/fertilizing. I won't get into the genetics myself, because I don't know a whole lot about them. I do know that there have been more than a few old farmers get cancers, and I used to always see them spraying fence rows and fields.

Jose, IMO, if you are talking commercialized organic most of it is no healthier than non-organic. If you want true organics you better raise it in your own garden and fertilize with the chicken poop from your own henhouse.

Jose, IMO, if you are talking commercialized organic most of it is no healthier than non-organic. If you want true organics you better raise it in your own garden and fertilize with the chicken poop from your own henhouse.

At no time did I ever discuss organics.

I was just discussing chemicals and the affect on the farmers I know, who seem to be dying of cancer. And, coincidentally, the ones I have talked to will all tell you the chemicals they used in the 80-90's have been banned, for some reason.

I can't imagine killing our farmers is a good idea, but, perhaps you think killing the backbone of America will make it Great Again??? :confused:

Now, as a side topic, the guy Trump nominated to EPA, Pruitt is completely a pawn of industry, to the extent that he would copy and paste Devon Energy letters and mail them on his letterhead to the current EPA director.

Regulating chemicals is likely "elitist".

Some of the equipment used anymore is unbelievable. One of my wife's childhood friends and his father farm many thousands of acres here in Ohio. A couple of years ago, he dropped a cool $2 million for two brand new combines. I thought he was crazy until I saw how they worked. It is completely gps guided, saves all kinds of info to a flash card that he can then use in his other equipment. The combine records yields, planting and harvesting gps maps so that he has the most efficient harvest possible, etc. He can literally pick his beans or corn, and know how many bushels per acre he is getting real time. The following spring, he can use the yield info on his fertilizer rig and it will dose higher or lower according to what info it has from harvest. It is pretty amazing stuff and his overall harvest went up more than a few percentage points just based on the more efficient harvest/fertilizing. I won't get into the genetics myself, because I don't know a whole lot about them. I do know that there have been more than a few old farmers get cancers, and I used to always see them spraying fence rows and fields.

Yes, the equipment is amazing, and for some crops, the harvest is where they get the data for next years chemical plan.

Some crops can't be harvested the same, and need labor.

In my area, the row-crop farmers will credit more of their increased yields to the good people at Monsanto and Bayer and not to the good people at Deere and Co.

By the way, to clear up a misconception from another thread, the only reason I am Ben1 and Ben Lamb is Ben2 is because I am his senior. But it doesn't matter since no one can keep us straight anyway.

I usually tell people it's because you're my better. :)

Statement from the National Wildlife Federation on Perdue:

http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazin...ion-to-Serve-as-Secretary-of-Agriculture.aspx

WASHINGTON - President-Elect Donald Trump has nominated former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue to lead the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Statements from the National Wildlife Federation and the Georgia Wildlife Federation are below:

"As a hunter and angler, former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue understands the importance of wildlife conservation,” said Collin O’Mara, president and chief executive officer of the National Wildlife Federation. “He has a record of working with both Republicans and Democrats to advance innovative land conservation programs, increase water conservation, restore longleaf pine forests, and expand recycling programs. We hope that Governor Perdue will clearly state his support for science-based decision-making and address previous statements on climate science.

“We look forward to working with Governor Perdue on critical issues facing USDA, including reducing wildfires and improving habitat by restoring our National Forests, protecting America’s grasslands that are being lost at an alarming rate primarily due to the corn ethanol mandate, expanding successful natural resource and farm bill conservation programs, reducing nutrient runoff that is polluting millions of miles of streams and fueling harmful algal blooms, addressing chronic wasting disease plaguing deer populations, leading the council responsible for administering more than $3 billion of the Deepwater Horizon fines for Gulf restoration, and integrating climate science into all the department’s activities. We expect Governor Perdue to oppose any efforts to transfer ownership or management of the nearly 200 million acres of national forests and grasslands.”

“Governor Perdue is a true sportsman and committed conservationist, who prioritized improving the natural resources of Georgia throughout his tenure,” said Mike Worley, President and CEO of the Georgia Wildlife Federation, who has hunted quail many times with the Governor. “A key part of Governor Perdue’s legacy was improving conservation on private working lands and engaging sportsmen to improve outdoor opportunities and expand important conservation programs, like the Georgia Wildlife Federation’s Hunters for the Hungry program. He’s an outstanding wing shot and has always been a friend to hunters, anglers, and outdoor enthusiasts.”

And, I said nothing about Organic crops. I was just asking a gentleman from a farming community that has crops and styles of farming much different than we have where I live.

Ah, got it Misread this sentence here. I read "said" as "know". My bad. Carry on.

Maybe if we killed off the "backbone of America" we wouldn't have as many of those "welfare ranchers" on your public land.? Wouldn't that be progress?

Thanks Ben. Better to have some conservation background then none.

Maybe if we killed off the "backbone of America" we wouldn't have as many of those "welfare ranchers" on your public land.? Wouldn't that be progress?

Want to get rid of Welfare Ranchers? Go for the "10x revenue" increase. You will those guys pull cattle off the public lands quickly at $15.30 aum.

Want to get rid of Welfare Ranchers? Go for the "10x revenue" increase. You will those guys pull cattle off the public lands quickly at $15.30 aum.

Can't do that. That might ensure that the hated fedrul gubmint might turn a profit on the land it manages. Then how would the transfer proponents have ammo for their position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back