The 5 year plan

SDC

Yes, 5 years out.

I've elk hunted twice before (CO rifle, 1st and 2nd seasons). My next realistic opportunity given life and family commitments will be 2021. Technically, 4.5 years, but 5 is close enough.

Zero points anywhere. Coming from the East coast. No huge preference as to which state. Not looking for a "trophy bull", just a great hunt, elk, and a solid chance at tagging. Open to archery, muzzleloader, or rifle. I'd prefer the rut or close to it, but it isn't mandatory.

I have all the gear necessary (well, probably but don't tell my wife that). As for physical condition, I'm not Mountain ready now, but I have time and I am working on it and working on being Mountain ready and not "gym ready". Lots of cardio, weighted pack hikes and runs, weighted get-ups and core transitions, chassis strengthening, etc.

I'd either be coming out solo or with one hunting partner.

What say y'all for state and season suggestions?

Wyoming - If you start collecting points in Wyo this year, you may have enough points to hunt General Wyoming in 5 years, probably sooner. You had to have 2 points this year to be guaranteed a general elk tag whereas in recent past years you only needed one. Year to year point creep will demand more points for a tag. you can just buy points for $50 per year until you are ready for your tag, no huge upfront fee just to be reimbursed a couple months later.

Idaho - No points given here but you can get an OTC tag. Typically, you can wait until after all state drawings are complete and if you did not draw, Idaho can be your fall back.

New Mexico - No points given for this state either but I truly believe in beginners luck. It's worth throwing your name in the hat when you are ready to possibly draw.

Utah has a general hunt I believe. Most commonly Utah and Nevada are bonus point systems that give everyone an opportunity no matter your point total but generally required many points to draw a tag. Every year, you might see some lucky SOB with one point that draws a very highly coveted tag. Moosie on here did it with Utah elk about 10 years ago.

OTC states are an obvious choice as they won't require a "down payment" of buying points. Wyoming will offer a decent hunt in 5 yrs. Buy a point each year for $50 and you'll have access to several above average hunts. The General tag requires 2 points right now. Its not gonna creep that much. Its moving by fractions. Check out the WY draw odds and you can see which tags generally require 3-5 points to draw. Also, using the "special draw" at the time of your hunt generally increases your value by another point.

I've heard some great later season hunts in AZ can be had with 5 years as well. Check into that because I don't know much about that draw, but I've heard good things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back