Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bad skull mount on my antelope.

Bukwild3

Had a skull mount done on my antelope. Researching about doing a Euro on a horned animal that there should be a drying time on the horns after cleaning them before attaching them back. I'm sure this did not happen with mine and it stinks. Will the stinch go away or will this end up being a shed trophy. Has black stuff oozing out and has dried. The rotten smell has let up but still is fonky smelling.

It sounds like they didn't boil the horns off of the skull. There is a layer of cartilage and hairs between horn and skull. I don't know any reason it would stink if that stuff was out of there. Try boiling them off if you think that's a possibility. They make a replica skull that you can put the horns on if needed

Give em a wiggle. If they're loose at all pull them off. They can be saved then and re attached after proper cleaning.

I'll check and see if they will pull off. He put some kind of putty around the base. Didn't look like epoxy. Thanks guys.

It's common to bondo the horns on. If there's putty there he must've boiled them off. But apparently some of the junk is still in there.

Antelope horns stink, if they are not done correctly. Even if he removed the horns and cleaned the sheath off, they have to air out for a bit. If they are still bad, then there is a chance that whoever did them, did not know enough to remove the horn from the bone, peel off the sheath and make it right.

If it gets no better, then try to remove the horns and make sure that the sheath has been removed. At that point, let them air out good and then hose them with Lysol. Work them until the stink is gone and then just put some silicone inside the horns and push them back onto the bone. They will be fine.

It sounds like the fleshy material was only partially removed or not removed at all.

If done correctly, there shouldn't be any odd smells.

Here is what needs to come out when doing a horn mount, European, or shoulder mount.

4reduced.jpg

5reduced.jpg

6reduced.jpg

IMG_6891reduced.jpg

Thanks I will update when I can work on it. Should have just did it myself...........

I pulled the horns off the skull,cleaned the skull, let the sheaths dry for weeks and my wife still won't let me put the horns in the house because of the smell. I personally think the hair holds the smell. I like the borax idea.
John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back