Zinkes confirmation hearing, watch

3:16 p.m.: "I want to make this clear . . . I am absolutely against the sale of public lands"

Most people who are for the transfer of public lands would say they are against the sale of public lands. Both trails lead to the same outhouse.

Lee can suck it. Complete idiot. Someone should have taken the mic away, I feel dumber for listening to him.

But giving them away??? yeah, that idea has some legs.... In fact, just last week I voted to make that simple.

1:13:51... "I want to be absolutely clear, I am against the transfer or sale of public lands."

In the end does it really matter what he says? Will he get kicked out of the cabinet if he changes his mind?

Lee can suck it. Complete idiot. Someone should have taken the mic away, I feel dumber for listening to him.

Until Daines started talking. I'm sick and tired of that man's constant whining and sniveling about local control and the people closest to the land and faceless DC Bureaucrats. Shut up Steve Daines, please.

I've said before Nugent is top on my list of despicable people, Daines is moving up that list fast.

Zinke will be confirmed and maybe in the end he will be a decent Secretary, not my choice for sure but at this point I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worse.

Going well. Zinke decries fed land elitism,wants to tell folks"You can hunt, you can fish, you can drill an oil well"

One of these things is not like the others....

I thought given the spectrum of opinions on the panel Zinke did a pretty good job (at the break). His answers felt honest and original. Clearly, he's not everyone's first choice, but he doesn't appear to be anyone's last choice. And I'm a bit jealous of his commitments to visit the territories... I think I could handle American Somoa for a business trip.

I just watched some of the hearing and discussion. Will try and find the whole thing.
I am somewhat familiar with who he his and have seen endorsements from several groups and such.
As of now I am somewhat relieved at the choice ,but no deal sealed yet.
Seems to be the real deal to me. I kinda like the man and what he says and how he said it.
But I have been let down way too many times recently.

He held up a list with most every hunt,fish,hike,outdoors group I am a member of or supporter of.Also wise energy groups .Public land groups. Resource groups,resource use groups too. Seems like a collaborative type guy.
So what say you MT folks on Zinke? He the real deal? Any one familiar with him? BF? BL?

He is the only cabinet candidate that I have not spit up my coffee when I heard the"He nominated THAT GUY for THAT JOB? Really? This is not a joke?
All the rest seem to be foxes just drooling.....

Last edited:
From his opening remarks:

Without question, our public lands are America’s
treasure and are rich in diversity. I fully recognize and appreciate
that there are lands that deserve special recognition
and are better managed under the John Muir model of wilderness,
where man is more of an observer than an active participant.
I also recognize that the preponderance of our federal
holdings are better suited to be managed under the Pinchot
model of multiple use using best practices
, sustainable policies,
and objective science.

And he promises to work with the GOP Congress that just voted (including himself) to make it easy to transfer Public Lands.
It takes both sides to create an arch that serves
higher purpose and that higher purpose is best achieved through
the approval and consent of Congress.
In a nutshell, that is my
commitment to you. If confirmed, I will work with each of you
to ensure the use of our public lands reflects higher purpose so
that our children’s children can look back and say “we did it
right”. I have met with almost every member of the Committee
and understand that each state is different, and you have
different priorities and issues.

Last edited:
Most people who are for the transfer of public lands would say they are against the sale of public lands. Both trails lead to the same outhouse.

CNN quoted him as saying that he is against transfer and sale...

"I want to be clear on this point. I am absolutely against transfer or sale of public lands," he told Sanders in response to another question.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/politics/ryan-zinke-interior-secretary-confirmation-hearing/index.html

I think he's about the best that we could hope for from this administration. I hope he is true to his word.

I also like what he had to say about maintenance and infrastructure...

Zinke also said one of his top three priorities would be the backlog of needed maintenance on national parks and federal lands, with a nod to one of Trump's stated goals of investing in infrastructure.

Lord knows there's a ton of road maintenance that needs to be done.

That's why I'm asking.
I have heard him say he is against the STL and I do believe in the Pinchot & Muir use COLABORATION and wise SUSTAINABLE use.
I also heard he voted on that one bill or proposal.I also heard that got shot down,even tho it opened the door.

Looks like Zinke is well versed at selling access and influence peddling.

President-elect Donald Trump’s pick to head the Interior Department earned $85,000 from a company that has a stock price of 8 cents, an accumulated deficit of more than $100 million and no customers.

Before he was elected to Congress from Montana, Ryan Zinke was a board member and consultant for Save the World Air, according to disclosure forms released by the Office of Government Ethics this month. The company, founded in 1998 and now called QS Energy Inc., is marketing a system that it says will boost the flow of oil in pipelines.

According to a Security and Exchange Commission filing, Zinke, a former Navy Seal, was paid $5,000 a month to arrange introductions and meetings, including with state officials. His efforts appeared to pay off: After he joined the company, TransCanada Corp. agreed to pay the company for letting it test its equipment on the U.S. portion of the Keystone pipeline, resulting in QS Energy’s first revenue from that product, according to another SEC filing.

But, in the end, those tests failed to generate a sale.

"He was a good friend of the company, and I hope he remains a friend of the company," Steve Bonser, a spokesman for QS Energy, said. Bonser said the company has yet to find a customer for its AOT technology, which aims to boost pipeline flow by cutting the viscosity of crude oil. The company did not make any sales of its AOT technology during Zinke’s time there, SEC filings show, and Bonser said the company has yet to find a customer for it.

Does Sec of Interior have any Swampland that needs Drained?

Gotta like a Sec of Interior that works with Penny Stocks.... from the inside....

Zinke promoted QS Energy while a Montana state senator, saying its technology could help with broader national goals.

"I am confident that STWA’s pipeline technology will be a major player in reaching America’s goal of energy independence," Zinke was quoted as saying in a 2012 press release for the company. The statement said he arranged meetings for the company at a Montana state energy conference.

In 2013 it got the contract with TransCanada. After the testing, however, both companies agreed the tests were flawed, according to company filings.

Before Zinke joined it, Save the World had marketed a $195 auto part that promised to curb pollution.

"There can be no assurances that we will be successful in marketing our products, or that customers will ultimately purchase our products," the company said in its most recent 10-K form, dated March 2016.

Newberg's Fresh Track's mentioned at 3:56:00 (ish) from Senator Heinrich!

When I heard Sen. Heinrich mention Mr. Newberg and the subsequent statement and concern about access to our public lands, and then Mr. Zinke's response; it seemed to me the blame for the loss or lack of access was being portrayed as an issue instigated or fostered by either the Forest Service, BLM or other Federal Land Agency, rather than the illegal locking of gates by a private entity on a public road, or in the instance of the Durfee hills the legal denial of access by a private landowner. Whether intentionally portrayed that way by the Senator, Zinke seemed all too eager to pounce on the question of access by insinuating (that's how I took it) it's an issue of out of control Federal Land Agencies denying access.

Even when an access point to public land is blocked by a road closure by the Federal Agency who controls it, there is still the opportunity to access it by foot or horseback, or by other access roads which aren't blocked. How is that denying access? I think it's imperative when the "talking points" are thrown out there about access to public lands we know who (public or private) is denying the access. I don't believe for one minute when these PLT politicians start talking about access to our public lands they are talking about hunters and sportsmen, rather more unfettered access by the "Drill Baby Drill" crowd.

Back