PEAX Equipment

Another first time elk hunter ...

bigdonniebrasco

I know a lot of long time forum users, and seasoned hunters cringe when they see these kind of posts, but here goes.

Last year I posted the same sort of question about pronghorn, and I got so much great info, that I had an amazing hunt, and I got my buck!

I'm not asking anyone to divulge any secret spots, or to do the real work for me, I am just looking for tips, pointers, and nudges in the right direction.

Just like I said last year, I am not afraid to hike back into the "sticks" and I am not going out in search of a trophy buck. Where possible I would buy the equivalent of an "either sex" tag and take the first legal animal to get in range.

Someone last year told me to put in for:
General tag in WY
If I am unsuccessful, I would then put in for NM

If unsuccessful in NM put in for (or OTC) Idaho

Then if I go 0-3 I have an Idaho tag.

I live in KS, so I would be a NonRes, and I don't have a problem driving wherever I need to.

* I will also say that I will gladly bowhunt OR rifle hunt.

Thanks again for any insight or advice!!

Don

I think you went about researching your pronghorn hunt just right. You did a lot of your own homework and pulled off a successful hunt in a tough unit.
The general tag gives you a lot of options, especially if you can make the trip over twice if you have to. If you draw it I can give you a couple places where I've found elk.

If you've never applied for elk in WY before, its unlikely you'll draw the general tag unless you front the money for the "special" draw. The general is a good route to take if you're looking for any elk.
Applying for NM is always worth the time.
Not sure why you're looking to Idaho as your next option. Colorado is closer to you than any of the other states and has the highest elk population of any state as well as OTC tags. Montana also has easy to get tags and great herd quality. Nothing against Idaho, but from what I've read and heard, CO and MT usually are listed before Idaho. However, if you've got inside info then go where you've got the inside track. Idaho has plenty of elk and land too.

I guess its hard to start planning until you get a state figured out.

Its a good plan any way you look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back