Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Portable Chargers

Bowhuntrben

I recently got a Delorme Inreach and looking to get a portable charger for it "just in case". Just wondering if any of you use one and like it. I was hoping to get one that I would be able to recharge in the field (as well as able to have pre-charged at the beginning of trip). I've seen some online that look like they have solar and/or hand crank. Reviews have indicated that the hand crank takes terribly long to charge. It would be an emergency situation that I would need to do it, so it is what it is if that's all there is, but wanted to get your thoughts.

I have a couple different precharged devices I use on trips. I think the solar and crank chargers are a pain in the ass.

I have several of the Anker brand chargers. I use a 5,200 mAh one for shorter trips and a 13,000 mAh for longer trips. An iPhone 6 has an 1,810 mAh battery so even the smaller version of those can charge a phone up several times.

I use mine to charge my inReach, camera, phone, etc. and haven't ever had an issue even on week long trips.

The 13,000 mAh charger is about $30 on Amazon, if you use the Amazon banner on the hunttalk website I think it helps support the website. Double check the reviews but the Anker brand is generally rated pretty close to the top.

P.S. - The crank and solar recharge versions are somewhat of a gimmick in my opinion. Even in full sunlight with the tiny solar panel angled exactly perfect you are only going to charge up maybe 500 mAh per day. Generally the solar panels are bulky and add weight as well and are easy to scratch which makes them even less effective. The tiny little panel will easily double the cost of the portable charger and might make it 10% more useful if you are being generous. From a cost perspective it is better to just buy the battery pack and not mess with the thought of being able to recharge them in the field in my opinion.

I don't remember what brand my power pack is but I got it off of Amazon though Snagshout for about $10-15 for approx. 15,000 mAh. It worked great on our trip to Colorado this year. My hunting partner had a solar charger he borrowed from a friend. I gave him a hard time about it because it was big and bulky but that thing charged really well. Not sure I would want to tote it due to size but I can't knock it's performance. I own one of the small Brunton solar charger/battery packs and it has never performed very well.

Edit: Just went and checked my Amazon order history and it is a Lumsing 15,000mAh. I gave $10.99 for it with the Snagshout discount. Regularly $24.99.

Last edited:
The battery on those DeLormes last a long damn time. I don't remember exactly how long mine lasted but I think it was at least a week this year and I had it on most of the time during the day. Unless you leave it on 24/7 and won't see the truck for a week, I don't know that I would be too worried about it.

I bought a Goal Pro Zero. But after further research I returned it and went to Amazon and bought the Power Pak 12,000AH by New Trent. Didn't hurt the wallet as bad and worked great on our 5 day drop camp hunt.

Any item that combines the charger and the battery pack is likely poor at doing both. I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel and it works well for charging my battery pack. I've got the Goal Zero Guide 10 battery pack for its versatility at being able to charge AA and AAA batteries. That was a nice feature when I used items that took batteries. I hope to change to a USB charge headlamp and then I will get away from removable batteries all together. The panel charges the battery pack easily in 3-4 hours. problem is that battery pack is limited by the capacity of the batteries, roughly 1800-2400 mA. My Samsung Galaxy S7 has a 2600mA battery.

Just an FYI, solar panels are not made for directly charging electronics. While some companies have adjusted the charging circuits so they are compatible with phones and tablets, it is terribly slow and you are then tethered to the panel during the day.

My buddy uses a 10,000mA charger that will recharge his phone at least 3 times. My solar panel charges his charger, but takes more than a day. A bigger panel would help. I actually like the solar panel as it folds flat, can be left out to charge all day and can be hung on the outside of your pack for charging while hiking.

My plan on upgrading is to either the Dark Energy 10,000mA charger or get an Anker in a similar size from Amazon. Dark Energy is nice because they are very rugged and waterproof. I also plan on looking at a larger panel. The 7watt panels are too small to keep up with larger chargers. A 13-15 watt is perfect and a 20 watt will keep you flush for more than one device. The nice thing is you usually only need one panel for 2-3 people.

A great new company is Suntactics.com They've got some neat stuff, but its expensive. They got some of the best output I've seen form the small panel designs.

I don't have any back country experience but I do see that they make an adapter for cordless tool batteries that have USB ports. I see guys on the job that use them. You can buy one that fits the makita batteries at Home Depot for under 20 dollars. You can find ones that fit other brands of batteries on eBay. I've never used them but guys I talk to say they work great and you get multiple full charges off of a single battery

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back