Yeti GOBOX Collection

Optics, which states won't allow a magnifying lens?

NC2CO

Other than Colorado, which states don't allow a scoped muzzleloader hunt?

In Pennsylvania you're only allowed to use a muzzleloader with a scope during an early 1 week antlerless season. During our late muzzleloader season youre only allowed to use a flintlock (no inline or percussion cap) and open sights only.

Interesting. Thanks for all the quick replies. Looking at expanding into unchartered territory soon.

Idaho= open site only no scope, loose powder, open ignition(no 209 primers), no sabot bullets must be full bore all lead..

2016 was the first year Utah allowed magnifying scopes on muzzle loaders.

Oregon is open ignition, no 209 primers, loose powder, no sabots, loaded from the muzzle only.

Very glad that Utah came to their senses. Sighted in my smokepole over the weekend and had a 3 shot 2 inch group at 100 yards. Ready for the hunt to start one week from today.

Also, check out this video that has been in the news the last couple of days in Utah, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=210MxZD9dxk - Always check your muzzleloader for last years load before shooting. I usually shoot my gun at the end of the season so it is empty and ready for cleaning, but sometimes we don't remember. Better safe than sorry.

One has to check Regs carefully in the State they plan to hunt. The particulars can vary a good amount. I usual hunt WI, MI or IL with a M-L, each allow most anything now.

I use a Knight with a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest usually, B209 powder of course. I go back & forth between the 50 and 45 cal, mostly using the 45 cal now.

2016 was the first year Utah allowed magnifying scopes on muzzle loaders.

Yep now I get to hear about people taking 300 yard shots because they can see vitals in the 12x scope! Not sure if any state has ever went back. I sure wish we could.

I've talked to the Colorado DOW until i'm blue in the face about having a true primitive muzzleloader season, but they seem uninterested. All they seem interested in is making as much money as possible. Sigh......

Yep now I get to hear about people taking 300 yard shots because they can see vitals in the 12x scope! Not sure if any state has ever went back. I sure wish we could.

I totally agree with you Dukes. I was against the idea when it was proposed. By placing a scope on an inline you have basically made it a single shot rifle hunt. As Utah has relaxed the rules it has been amazing how many more people I have seen in the field.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back