PEAX Equipment

Shipping Gear to Alaska

shanny28757

I'm headed to Ketchikan area in August and weighing out options to get gear there. I hope to fit all my gear in 2 checked bags on the way out, but will hopefully need to ship back (filled fish boxes). When I checked rates, USPS was over $150 for a 24x24x24 50lb container. At those rates I'd be better off to just check.

Seems like a lot of guys ship via USPS with gear in Rubbermade totes zip tied shut. If I go this route to ship gear out there, where can i ship to? Are there drop shipping companies that will accept delivery I can pick up from when I arrive?

As far as postal companies USPS is the cheapest. If you have time you can barge items through Samson minimum charge is around $100 for up to 300 some lbs. From what I've been told the airlines charge extra if your using fish boxes so you may be better off using the action packers zipped shut on an airline. Good luck
Ps: feel free for anyone that has first hand knowledge of the fish boxes.

Last edited:
The 24x24x24 is what is getting you. A 36x16x18 box at the same 50 pounds could be shipped for $110 priority mail or $96 first class.

69 pounds in the same size box (36x16x18) would be $137 priority or $121 first class.

Still not cheap, but I may use an option like that to ship an inflatable kayak next time I draw a POW black bear tag.

Im not certain but I think that some post office's will "hold" mail for you. I'd call to make sure.

I ship to fedex and ups stores all over the US and pick up when I get there for work. Never had a problem. Some places will charge you a silly 5 bucks but whatever.

If you are using a transporter ask if you can mail your gear to them in care of yourself. Most will receive and hold your gear for you. as long as it's not a firearm there should be no problem. If it's a firearm mail it to yourself and get it at the Ketchikan p.o. When you arrive.

I've hunted big game in Alaska every few years on my own and bring a pile of stuff with me on every trip. The cheapest way to get your stuff up there is $25 first bag, $25 2nd bag, and $75 for each additional bag. Large or heavy charges apply.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags.aspx

I've figured out ways to get a lot of bang for my buck on Alaskaair. I have a super large guncase on rollers. I strip the foam out and replace the foam with clothes and other gear. The rollers on the gun case work great for hauling all the gear through the airport. I load my large Kifaru pack with as much gear as I can so it fits within the overhead baggage dimensions and use it as 1 carry on. I also carry on a 2nd large camera case that is loaded with camera, binos, spotting scope, and other gear. I actually carry on around 60 lbs worth of gear! It's a pain hauling through the airport but saves me charges on 1 bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've hunted big game in Alaska every few years on my own and bring a pile of stuff with me on every trip. The cheapest way to get your stuff up there is $25 first bag, $25 2nd bag, and $75 for each additional bag. Large or heavy charges apply.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags.aspx

I've figured out ways to get a lot of bang for my buck on Alaskaair. I have a super large guncase on rollers. I strip the foam out and replace the foam with clothes and other gear. The rollers on the gun case work great for hauling all the gear through the airport. I load my large Kifaru pack with as much gear as I can so it fits within the overhead baggage dimensions and use it as 1 carry on. I also carry on a 2nd large camera case that is loaded with camera, binos, spotting scope, and other gear. I actually carry on around 60 lbs worth of gear! It's a pain hauling through the airport but saves me charges on 1 bag.

Do they ever charge you the oversize fee for your gun case?

I haven't been charged in 6 or 7 trips up there. I make sure it's not over weight though. They are sometimes pretty lenient with weight but I try to keep it pretty close.

Do they ever charge you the oversize fee for your gun case?

If you look in each airlines baggage faq's this is usually a question asked - but typically directed towards skis or golf clubs. Seems like most of the regular type carrier like delta, united, etc (think anyone other than discount carriers like spirit, frontier, etc) don't really care what dimensions your bag is as long as it meets weight.

I've never been charged for a gun case, and have flown, Delta, Northwest, United, American, Southwest, Jet Blue, Alaska, South Africa, Midwest, AirTran. They may have changed their policies as many have merged, but I doubt any of them charge for a gun case.

Your easiest and cheapest route is to put it on the plane and bring it to/from with you. Rounding up shipping supplies, getting to and from the airport (Ketch airport is on an island and you have to take a ferry using a luggage cart), shuttling gear, (what do you do with your gear you're not shipping when you go to the PO?) getting to the PO before they close, etc, etc, is a huge PITA. I've done the shipping thing a couple times and will not do it again. You will waste 3-4 hours to "save" a couple bucks, which will probably cost you more anyway.

A good option is to buy a couple coolers/fish boxes when you get there, and pack a dufflebag to stuff cloths and what not in for the return if you need to. Best to go light as possible. I've done dozens of trips with a carry-on (hunting pack), gun case and one checked bag and maybe a cooler depending on where we go and how easy it is to get food/beer/more coolers. I live pretty spartan and don't take a lot of stuff I don't really need. All that "extra" stuff just gives you an excuse to stay in camp.

Hunting deer I presume? Best of luck planning!

Taking fish & meat with you as checked baggage is the best way to take it south. By "best" I mean getting it there in a timely manner and (in most cases) also the cheapest way to go. I would use a plastic tote - you could probably pick up 1 or 2 in Ketchikan, before you leave. Use them to ship your clothing and gear home via USPS. Ship standard parcel post and insure them (depending on what gear you include). They'll take a while to get there, but it might save you some money - depending on how many extra bags you check at the airline. I ALWAYS carry any optics and electronics in my carry-on.

I just got back from a hunting/camping trip to Alaska. First bag free, 2nd $25, and if your 3rd is going to be $75 it might as well be oversize and weigh 100#. I always take an extra dry bag for bringing back game. Frozen and sealed meat goes into my sleeping bag and then the bag goes into the large dry bag. Instead of a gun case, use an SKB golf club travel case. I had a shotgun, rifle, kayak paddles, and clothes inside mine.

Attachments

• 20170111_204600.jpg
    20170111_204600.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 20170112_041959.jpg
    20170112_041959.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 285

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307