Roosevelt Elk info needed..

Slim55

Hey Elk hunters. I have taken some Rocky Mtn elk in the past. But I am trying to plan an archery elk hunt in Or. for Roosevelt Elk. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of western Oregon and this species of elk? Any info is appreciated, Thx ~Slim

I've hunted Roosevelts with the bow for the last 30 years. What do you want to know?

-All but one unit are OTC general season hunts that run from the last weekend in August to the last weekend in September roughly. 4 week season.

-Bulls can be called in from opening day till well after the season closes. Cow calls earlier in season then you can get more aggressive later on as the rut heats up.

-Many units are now bull only but a few still allow cow harvest.

-There is a lot of corporate timber land that is open to public entry and can provide some great hunting but in years of higher fire danger it will be totally shut down so you will want to have some National Forest land or State Forest land in mind as well. National Forests have not been logged in 30 years so elk habitat is dwindling and populations are lower. There are bulls dying of old age though...

Hey Thanks Joe! I've also heard the terrain can be quite challenging. But, being from Ca I always have to go out of state for my elk hunt since it's almost impossible to draw(35yrs). I haven't seen anyone looking for an archery elk hunting partner. So, I've been looking at some guided hunts because I don't know the areas. I hunted in Idaho the last two seasons by myself, but my wife REALLY wants me to pair up with someone. (another reason for a guide). I took my horse with me to the panhandle region last year, but I didn't need her. Missed my bull at 50yds! I had several opportunities and a great time. Do you hunt solo? Thanks again for your time AND information, Slim

I've hunted Roosevelt Elk in Washington for 20 years or so and the one thing I've figured out is to stay within one mile of Hwy. 101 and or the salt water. The last one I shot had the Ocean in the background.

Hey IPV1, Thanks for the tip. A few Q's; Are you bow hunting? Are you hunting public or private ground? Are you an Idaho Resident? AND, That sounds like a great pic!
Anyway to share it?

Hey Slim, I am a Bow hunter most of the time with a little riffle thrown in especially for Coyotes. I mostly hunt public land with some private thrown in. Idaho Resident now. I couldn't get the picture to load.

First Rosie, with a bow

I was successful in my first hunt in Oregon last year. Best Elk we've ever tasted!

Attachments

• 1st Roosevelt.jpg
    1st Roosevelt.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 127
Those stunningly colored antlers laying in those ferns is beautiful contrast, and is what I imagine when I think about Roosevelt Elk. Well done and congrats! Thanks for the follow up!

Thanks N R. Apparently it's the Alder tree that gives the antlers the color. And I've never seen ferns 4' tall! All I could see was his rack rocking back and forth as he came towards me, the ferns concealing his vitals. Finally as he closed to 9yds he stepped into a small opening and I was able to slip an arrow in...

Thanks, A Tule, now that's a once in a lifetime! I've been trying for 25+ yrs for a Tule tag. Going to ID this year, but next year I think I'll go back to OR again for a Rosie.

ive been into rosies plenty of times in Wilson /trask,,but they are not easy,,havnt harvested one yet,,Ive found them in heavy fern and about 20 yr old alder type of areas,,western Oregon can be as thick as hair on a dogs back though

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back