• Alcohol Stove

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wood Stove

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kurtm2323

What does everyone use for cold weather hunts in regards to stoves and fuel types? Does anyone use canister stoves year round? If so how do they perform and how do you help improve their performance?

depends what you consider "cold." If its above zero and you're at moderate elevation (10K or lower) canister stoves will work just fine. Keep the canisters warm before using them and you'll likely not notice much difference. They will not be nearly as efficient as a white-gas stove, but should meet your needs just fine.

I use a MSR whisper lite. I know that its not as compact as many canister stoves, but I never have to worry about it being too cold or too high to burn. It burns well...all the time...

Thanks for the replies! I 've always used canister stoves as well, the other weekend I did struggle to get the stove lit at around 6 degrees. I had to shake it up a little first, so it got me wondering what everyone else did or used in cold weather.

I take a lightweight titanium bowl with me. I put the canister in my jacket to warm it up, then light the stove and heat enough water to fill the bowl about 1/2 inch full of warm water. Then, I set the canister in the bowl of warm water. I have cooked at temps well below zero using this method.

The water bath method works and is probably the easiest solution if you don't have a remote canister and want to use a canister stove below zero. I have a Windpro so I just invert the canister in cold weather, problem solved. Now they make remote systems designed to function upside down, it's 6's.

If I never have to use a whisperlite again it'll be good with me.

I use a MSR whisper lite. I know that its not as compact as many canister stoves, but I never have to worry about it being too cold or too high to burn. It burns well...all the time...

I also use MSR whisper lite once it gets cold in Alaska.

In August/early September I use a jetboil for convenience.

I use a cheaper canister stove. It works fine most of the time. A buddy of mine uses a Sierra Zip stove. http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html. It worked very well when it got cold at higher elevations and mine would barely produce flame. It burns whatever you can find to burn. He jokes the instructions say it will run on dry moose turds... It's now on my "to buy" list.

I keep my canister in the tent at 11,000' and it works fine. I have brought it inside my sleeping bag on cold mornings just to make sure it stays warm enough to run for a few minutes to make breakfast.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back