Montana Public Lands Rally

Judging by the lack of activity on the forum today, I bet a lot of Hunttalkers were there. Nice job guys!

Super packed. I got there at 11:45 and ended up stuck on the stairs. Eventually made it around a side staircase by the Senate chamber. Saw Fin poke his head around the corner but no other HT crew. Awesome turnout y'all.

Initial estimates are between 1,000 & 2,000. Tough to tell but it was a tremendous turnout.

Nice work, Hunt Talk. Saw & spoke to several folks. Sorry if I missed anyone. Hopefully they get the message and we don't have to have another rally this session.

I saw and spoke to a few HuntTalkers, but had to run when it was over and get back to work. Next time they should have it outside. I know people who turned around and went home because they couldn't get up the stairs. Hopefully the message is loud and clear.

You guys are awesome!! I hope national reps and those in other states take note

I don't expect people [to fully comprehend] who aren't fortunate as I to live where I love but,

As I drove the 90 miles from Helena back to Boztrumpia, I gazed at the Elkhorns, the Belts, the Tobacco Roots, the Spanish Peaks, the Bridger, the Gallatin, and the Absaroka mountain ranges. Literally hundreds of miles of Federal Public Land skyline. Belongs to all Americans.
Says it all.

Last edited:
Do you all have to pass through metal detectors to get in there? I'm not even sure they would let that many people into our capitol.

I've been attending Capitol events since 1993. This is by far the largest and most invigorated crowd I've seen at one of these events, no matter what the topic.

No slight to the rest of the Hunt Talk crew I saw, many sporting Hunt Talk Hats, but these three made my day. Thanks for bringing them with, Gerald.
20170130_122800.jpg

It was packed, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor. Couldn't get up to the 4th floor. Thanks to all who were there. For those of the Hunt Talkers I did not get a chance to visit with, my apologies.
20170130_124543.jpg

This was a cool sign. Even a cooler person was found holding it.
20170130_123117.jpg

Thanks to all who attended. I am sure the lawmakers took notice. If not, they are beyond help.

Senator Dee Brown (R-Hungry Horse) got on the elevator with a bunch of us and proceeded to lecture us about not supporting Senator Fielder's pro-public land bill last session. Her comment was, "Sure would have been nice if you folks had supported Senator Fielder last session and not left her hanging with her bill to protect public access."

Not in the mood to be lectured by a short bus rider, I, in rather firm tone, explained, "Where were we? We were right here, protecting our public lands from folks like Senator Fielder." I said some other things, but when I am trying to control my cussing, I always forget what other things I say. I know it had something to do with what a spoon feeding she was getting and how Senator Fielder could in one of the many to be thanked for bringing together this pissed off group of public land users.

I'm not sure how high up the elevator folks planned to go, but when the door opened on the 2nd floor everyone bailed off in a hurry. I looked at Marcus as if, "What did I say?" He just smiled, then chuckled, then said, "Guess she didn't want to hear that."

Having attended the corner crossing rally at the Montana Capitol, I was apprehensive about the number of participants who might show up today ... but this great crowd clearly exceeded expectations ... and an energetic crowd it was!
I have closely followed Governor Bullock, listening intently to whatever he has delivered publicly ... and today he was the most fired-up I have ever seen. This great crowd of public land advocates seemed to create a momentum that really steeled up strength of commitment ... you could hear and feel it.

As I drove the 90 miles from Helena back to Boztrumpia, I gazed at the Elkhorns, the Belts, the Tobacco Roots, the Spanish Peaks, the Bridger, the Gallatin, and the Absaroka mountain ranges. Literally hundreds of miles of Federal Public Land skyline. Belongs to all Americans.
'Very nicely expressed, onpoint. We are blessed ... and better appreciate it and thus fight to keep it public and available for all to get the chance to appreciate ... forever.

http://helenair.com/news/natural-re...cle_f934694e-674f-5208-92d5-367e28cb3603.html

More than 1,000 rally against transferring or selling federal lands

The Capitol rotunda played host to a raucous crowd of public land advocates Monday, many who traveled from across the state to denounce land transfer efforts at both the state and federal levels.

Organizers estimated, in-line with Independent Record estimates, that more than 1,000 rallied in Helena. Many carried signs calling for an end to the land transfer movement and the perceived threats of continued public ownership under state control.

Transfer opponents contend that states such as Montana would be unduly burdened by the financial impact of owning millions of additional acres of public lands, citing firefighting and other management costs. They say states would be forced to sell off the lands without a viable means of paying for management, putting public lands in private ownership.

Supporters have argued that federal policies closed roads while stifling timber and mineral industries. Under state control, they say, the lands would be better managed and become an economic catalyst for rural communities.

Speakers included fly-fishing guide and Trout TV host Hillary Hutcheson, who told the crowd “This heist is an assault on my lifeblood, not just my livelihood.”

The session’s rally took on a more personal tone directed at one of the leading land transfer advocates in Montana and the West. American Lands Council CEO Sen. Jennifer Fielder, R-Thompson Falls, was the subject of direct criticism on signs, along with allusions to her legislation proposing a study of or requesting the transfer of federal government lands to Montana.

Referring to Fielder’s district, Prickly Pear Land Trust Executive Director Mary Hollow said to cheers, “Let’s let them hear us down every hall in this building and all the way to Sanders County.”

This story will be updated.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back