Save starving Gunnison Valley herds!

elkduds

The sagebrush on the winter range are covered by deep snow. Thousands of deer and elk are in the valley bottoms, unable to reach food ben. The valley, internationally famous for big game habitat and hunting, is also susceptible to massive winter die-offs, losing several years of herd growth each time a killer winter like the current one happens. 5 feet of snow just this week, and the sagebrush on the winter range is buried. If you care to make a stand to save deer and elk herds, the site is here. Please spread this news to those with a heart to save wildlife.

https://www.gofundme.com/save-gunni...Ot8HGh65NVUKL9Q9fbtfZqO2TzJRwwr5SncN5adlnvo=#

Life is tough. It's not pleasant to see them struggle but feed grounds are likely not the answer. If they are the answer that will be a colorado Dow issue not a go fund me issue.

Life is tough. It's not pleasant to see them struggle but feed grounds are likely not the answer. If they are the answer that will be a colorado Dow issue not a go fund me issue.

Exactly! It sounds brutal out there and the little bit that "Go fund me" is looking at wouldn't do enough to feed any real amount of animals for more than a week or two at best. Leave it to the DOWto decide what, if anything can be done to help the situation. That's one of the things that they are in business for.

Locals going forward w feeding, since CPW is dragging feet. Much more info @ the Go Fund Me site. I read a lot of opinions here about how lame or stupid the government and its wildlife agencies are. Citizens who abdicate their will to act to their government are already defeated. Those most familiar w the Gunnison cycle of winterkills will most clearly understand the current risk and urgency. Timely intervention now will have the greatest benefit later.

If you don't care to support it, that is your decision, and there is no need to defend it. Just in case you are wrong, how about letting other forum members decide for themselves whether to help, solely on the merits of the Go Fund Me page pitch?

Lot of scavengers might benefit if we let this thing go. Lots of babies this Spring, too.

If you don't care to support it, that is your decision, and there is no need to defend it. Just in case you are wrong, how about letting other forum members decide for themselves whether to help, solely on the merits of the Go Fund Me page pitch?

Based on the small amount raised on the gofundme site, doesn't look like you are putting much skin into the game. Or any of the other locals.

So in other words, don't tell people why they shouldn't do it, just let the Go Fund Me page convince them to do it?

I think this is a bad idea. Very slippery slope. Nature can be brutal.

http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/do-not-feed-wildlife.aspx

The Law

Under Colorado law, intentionally feeding big game animals is illegal. The prohibition applies to deer, elk, pronghorn, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, mountain lions, and bears. Violators face a $50 fine.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife hopes you won’t face such a fine and that we’ve explained why it’s best to simply let Mother Nature take care of wild animals. If you don’t, you quite literally could end up loving our wildlife to death.​

There are a load of outfitters in the area that if one of them would donate the amount of one of their hunts the GoFundMe goal would be met.

Periodic winter kills are a fact of nature. But just because the public has a low tolerance for death doesn't mean CPW should take up feeding. Their decision not to feed is based upon the best available science. The funds raised by this effort would be put to better use if it went towards protecting some good winter range from being buried under subdivisions and strip malls.

I've done plenty of work on feedground elk. Watching them die of disease on a feedground isn't really preferable IMO.

here is a live webcam at the college in gunnison. It is at the same elevation as what I say is the valley that deer and elk winter at. Gaining elevation of course increases the snowfall, but pretty sure I don't see 5 foot of snow

https://www.western.edu/about/webcams-western/campus-valley-webcam

I was sitting here reading through this thread thinking to myself there is no way they have that much snow out there. Thank you for posting this.

You can argue over how deep the snow is and whether or not feeding is scientifically or ethically the right thing to do. What you can't argue over, though, is the fact that deer in the Gunnison Basin are getting crushed by the current conditions. Those planning a deer or pronghorn hunt there in 2017 would do well to watch conditions closely the next 2.5 months leading up to the application deadline. That statement is relevant in other parts of the state as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back