Talk me out of the .308

Let me guess, you think reporters who use the terms "magazines" and "clips" interchangeably have no credibility?

I clearly stated the rodeos and disasters involved the .308win.

And, accurately, I have better calibers in my safe.

I have calibers from .22 to .378 in the safe, so not suprising that I have better calibers.

Also, if you want to use cartridge as the word, I hav better cartridges in my safe, including better cartridges in .308 caliber, far better than .308win.

Not sure what point you failed to make, and not sure where I wasn't clear.

I really don't care to make any more sense to you, and I have no desire to provide you any proof.

I can tell you that:

• Expert Shooter (far better than you)
  • Using high quality handloads, something you can't afford
  • Likely shot by someone far better looking than you

Has thousands of $$$$ of receipts indicating that a .308win does not deserve anything good to say about it.

Wow! That is impressive! I just wish that I was that much of an expert and could reload just like you! LMAO! Funniest drivel that I have read all day. Geez! I guess that I should have saved all of my receipts so that I could look at them and tell myself how good I am at reloading.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure our erudite forum host hunts with a .308 much of the time. If the proof is in the pudding, this forum is a warehouse of snack-packs. It's ridiculous to say there's nothing good to say about the .308. You may as well be telling Royce Gracie Jujitsu doesn't work as he chokes you unconscious.

No Harley, I have heard comments about your vocabulary. Fairly. literate. Never heard abstruse in my life.

Looked it up and was appropriate,

Thanks for the education!

"abstruse" "erudite" "drivel" We might need to get Webster to sponsor this forum too with all the traffic we will be sending them...

I have the afternoon off, big ice storm closing in and was just wondering if you all could rev up the hate a little so I have entertainment while I'm loading.;)

Wow! That is impressive! I just wish that I was that much of an expert and could reload just like you! LMAO! Funniest drivel that I have read all day. Geez! I guess that I should have saved all of my receipts so that I could look at them and tell myself how good I am at reloading.:rolleyes:

Just consider those receipts to be tuition payments on a lifetime of learning. Don't give up, keep at it.

Just ignore Jose. He's a troll, and just posts BS for a reaction. It's likely he's never shot an animal, let alone with a 308. Hell, he has to hire guides to go fly fishing.

Just ignore Jose. He's a troll, and just posts BS for a reaction. It's likely he's never shot an animal, let alone with a 308. Hell, he has to hire guides to go fly fishing.

Actually, Jose is a very decent and highly intelligent fellow whose comments often precipitate impetuous ill-tempered reactions...most of which he anticipates and parries.

But don't tell anyone I said that.

Last edited:
Actually, Jose is a very decent and highly inteligent fellow whose comments often precipitate impetuous ill-tempered reactions

LOL, for reference see the comment you quoted.:)

It's refreshing to have some highly intelligent folks who can agree to disagree on things, yet still respect one another.

I shot a .308 for years. On plus side, lots of data on how the bullet flies as is a sniper caliber. If you change altitude and temperatures and hunt in the wind is nice to have that data and have confidence in the data. Also, a bit less kick than .30-06 but similar performance.

The downside is not as many bullet options, even if hand load, with the .308 (vs. the .30-06) and if ever
travel to boonies or Africa you are more likely to find spare .30-06 ammo than .308. Might be a factor as evaluate less popular calibers.

As for lethal aspect of .308, just do not stretch the range and make a good shot. I now use a .338 Win Mag for everything but pronghorn as provides a bit more range, handles the crosswind a bit better with a heavier bullet option and can make a less than perfect bullet placement have higher chance is one and done.

Whatever rifle you get, I suggest finding a bullet it likes and use that for everything. Confidence on how the bullet performs in a wide range of conditions is important when a shot opportunity arises but is only there for seconds. You sometimes do not have time to do much more than take a range reading and get on target. Know the bullet and good things happen.

I'm not quite following your post. You say there isn't as many bullet options in hand loads for the 308 vs the .30-06. They shoot the same bullet?

One thing is for sure in shooting is you have to have confidence in what you are using. Had I had failures for whatever reason like Jose I would probably shy away from that cartridge as well.

This has been entertaining to say the least. In my opinion every caliber and cartridge combination out there has had failures. I think it boils down to #1 a poor hit #2 the wrong bullet for the situation. If you eliminate those 2 situations you will be successful.

There is no reason to talk anyone out of using the caliber/cartridge (308 win) if that's what they like. I'd say go for it and enjoy your new rifle.

Dan

Back