One to rule them all

Hyian

Probably been asked in the past but I could not find it (forgive me!)

What is a good modern(ish) 100 yard muzzle-loader that would be legal in most states. I know some states are optic restrictive but I'm more worried about the other weird regulations on ignition, etc.

For example - I am planning NM muzzled-loaded hunt and I don't want to buy a rifle I would not be able to use in future CO hunts.

I think you would be best off by reading the regulations of the states you plan on hunting in. Then make your decision based on the most restrictive state.

Idaho,Washington, and Oregon legal muzzleloaders must have the ignition open to the elements. Most mordern muzzleloader manufacturers have "northwest legal" options. The thing you have to look out for in the regs of some states are about the ammunition and powder vs. pellets allowed.

Idaho requires loose powder, percussion or musket caps(no 209 primer), and full bore all lead bullets(no sabot).. open sights only.(no scope)..

Have to look at the regs of each state.

When i was researching muzzleloaders lots of people recommended the Knight ultralight northwest version. A little pricey for me so i bought a used Knight MK85..

Heard good thing about the CVA optima"northwest" also.

Idaho,Washington, and Oregon legal muzzleloaders must have the ignition open to the elements. Most mordern muzzleloader manufacturers have "northwest legal" options. The thing you have to look out for in the regs of some states are about the ammunition and powder vs. pellets allowed.

Idaho requires loose powder, percussion or musket caps(no 209 primer), and full bore all lead bullets(no sabot).. open sights only.(no scope)..

Have to look at the regs of each state.

When i was researching muzzleloaders lots of people recommended the Knight ultralight northwest version. A little pricey for me so i bought a used Knight MK85..

Heard good thing about the CVA optima"northwest" also.

Thank you! This is the type of information I needed. My Uncle uses one with battery ignition and I know there are a lot of states that do not allow this.

You should look at the gunwerks muzzleloader! You can shoot 500 yards out of the Box. Why limit yourself!

I'm Just kidding of course!

If I remember correctly you can use a scope in nm. Not sure in co

CanNOT use a scope in CO.
Peep sights are a great thing.

I believe that you cannot use pelletized powder here as well.

--Dana

A Knight Big Horn would serve your needs. Scope it and use 209 where legal, open sights and #11 or Musket cap. All you would need is a simple change of the nipple and or breach plug. They are extremely reliable. I hunt Elk with mine in Western Washington during some nasty rain at times, never had an issue with ignition.

COLORADO
3. MUZZLELOADING RIFLES
& SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
c. Must be a single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be a minimum of .40
caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be a minimum of .50 caliber.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 170
grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 210
grains.
h. Shotshell primers and B.O.R. Lock MZ System bullets are legal.
i. Pelletized powder systems are prohibited during muzzleloading
seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech during muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics
and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights
are legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries
and electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches
are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder is prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black
powder and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into
or attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading seasons.
John

I have 3 muzzleloaders. I have a percussion cap, an inline with ghost ring sights, and a scoped one. I'm good to go pretty much anywhere I'd want to hunt.

Back