Wyoming Pronghorn Unit Questions

dcopas78

My father, nephew and I are applying this year with 3 PP each. I hunted on a trespass fee ranch in Unit 26 my one and only pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. When we were out there, we tagged out the first day and decided to spend the rest of the week fishing. I spent some time traveling and fishing in many of the units southwest of Casper, including the units surrounding the Miracle Mile. I believe that we could potential draw any of units 48, 47, 32, 69 although a few might require the special drawing. My ultimate goal would be to camp near or on the mile so that we can fish if we tag out early. We aren't looking for record book bucks, just something representative. I am probably also going to try to get a doe tag as well for the extra meat if it is available. It will be my nephews first hunt outside of Ohio, so I would like for him to have a good trip and sample as many aspects of western hunting as he can. Right now, 48 is probably the front runner because of the ample BLM land and it's close proximity to the Platte, but that is far from etched in stone. If you all have any input, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Derek

47 has been a good unit in the past. Lots of animals, lots of public with 2 tag options. Not far to Miracle Mile. Shirley Basin is an interesting place, sage grouse, black footed ferrets and UFOs. We have taken great bucks from there, antelope and some deer. Also found a big black jade cinder while in the basin.

Thanks wytex. Dad and I drove through the Shirley basin on 487 and really liked the area. We went east off of it to fish at the Jenkins Lake and then went a little farther to a walk in fishing area on Bates Creek. That whole area looked nice and we saw several antelope even with season just kicking in. It looks to be a lot of BLM land both east and west of 487. I appreciate the advice!

Might want to wait and see what the winter does, could see significant winter kill. Utah is already feeding, talk of doing same in Colorado. Still a couple months to go...

Last edited:
Might want to wait and see what the winter does, could see significant winter kill. Utah is already feeding, talk of doing same in Colorado. Still a couple months to go...

Yeah we are. We've already decided to wait if it looks like a high winter kill. Thank goodness we still have a while before the draw.

We're not too bad yet this winter in SE and S central Wy. Not ton of snow on the plains but mountains have it good. So far we're ok but late cold wet snow will be the determining factor. Good idea to wait til closer to deadline.

I hunted 48 one year with my kid. We did it as a graduation trip for him. We drew on three points, but I think it may take more, now. We were done with two bucks and three does in two, half-days of hunting. If he would have had more time, I think that we could have found even better bucks than we did.

He shot a buck that scored 77 6/8, and I shot a 74ish buck. It was a great hunt. Now, the lower end of the unit is on the walk-in plan on Q-Creek land.

Back