PEAX Equipment

Trekking Pole Recommendation

jnagel32

I'm looking for trekking pole recommendations. I've never used them before. After this years hunt and listening to guys like Big Fin speak so highly of them I think it's time to try them out. I've been looking at the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork and the Leki Corklight Ultralight series. Are these decent? I'd like to keep it around $90-130. I also don't know how the sizing goes. I am 6' 3" and 250 lbs. Would these be durable and tall enough for me?

Leki corklite are the bomb! I will never be in the mountains without them. Worth.every.penny.

I have the same BD Trail Ergos. They worked great until I wanted to use them for a center pole for my shelter. I ended up cutting off the handless at the bend to make them straight and adding some Gossimer Gear (spelling) cork replacement handles. Pretty sure if I ever bend or break these I'll buy another set and do the same thing.

I got Leki's from Sierra Trading for super cheap price. They've worked great for me on several Alaska sheep/goat hunts as well as elk in Colo.

They are by far the best leaning/resting poles while accenting with heavy loads on your back!

I only have experience with a couple. Leki twist locks blow, based on reviews, "snap locks" must be better. I really like my Black Diamond z-poles. Some folks lather over adjustable length based on topography. More about nothing in my opinion.

Overall, I think poles are a helpful tool, especially heavy and downhill...at least with my knees.

I just have some $30 Kelty ones and they've worked perfectly fine for me.

One thing to think about is if you fall on one and break it. This year I was working my way down some icy rocks, slipped, fell and snapped a pole in half. REALLY glad I didn't have to replace a $150 pair.

I'm looking at getting my first pair of trekking poles right now. What type of tip do you guys prefer? The Leki Corklites that I am looking at only come with a carbon tip on them. Worth the extra $30 to buy a pair of rubber tips? Seems they would have to be a lot quieter.

I just got the Corklites and love them... I'm trying gaffing tape on the tips but I might get the rubber ones the carbon ones are definitely loud.

I just picked up a pair of Cascade Mtn Tech Carbon poles with flick-locks and cork handles for $30 at Costco. I immediately replaced the plastic nut on the locking mechanism with a nylon lock nut and washer. I was going to spring for some nicer poles but I figure they're cheap enough to use the heck out of them and return them to Costco if they stink. A couple of reviews:

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/long-term-review-cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-poles/

https://www.travelerted.com/2015/cascade-trekking-pole-review/

I ended up purchasing the Leki Corklites. Haven't received them yet, but I can't wait to try them out now that the weather seems to be getting nicer here in PA.

I just have some $30 Kelty ones and they've worked perfectly fine for me.

One thing to think about is if you fall on one and break it. This year I was working my way down some icy rocks, slipped, fell and snapped a pole in half. REALLY glad I didn't have to replace a $150 pair.

Same here, they're so cheap I don't care if I have to replace them (which I haven't had to do in 5 years of use). I've never had a problem with the lack of snap locks,shock system, or the weight.

I used to use metal ones and I slipped side-hilling in steep stuff and the one on the lower side bent in half. Stopped me from a nasty tumble. I then got carbon fiber. They have never failed me. Carbon Z poles. I use rubber tips unless headed onto ice. Never used them in deep snow where the flare wheel tip might be useful.

Another vote for carbon. Also not as loud when they bump into stuff...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back