Caribou Gear Tarp

Arizona Bonus point

dunns7

Does anyone have any ides or tricks to get scheduled for a bonus point class? Every time I check the classes are full. I don't plan on getting one before the elk draw but man every time I look they are all full. On top of that I'm a non res so scheduling is even more of an issue. I do occasionally get to Phoenix though and have a March trip planned...would sure be sweet to get that point then. Thanks for any help.

I just took the class last weekend with Don Martin of Arizona Wildlife Outfitters. He did say they were going to do another one this spring. I would email him at [email protected] and I'm positive he can provide some good information.

Yep, the only class to take is Dons. Big mistake not taking the January class, you'd have had the point for this years draw.

Can someone give a little more info about this class. How long is the class, subject matter, difficulty, etc..? I'd like to take this class sometime in the future. I just started applying in AZ last year so not in a huge hurry as I don't think one point will make much difference at this point. Would like to at least have it by the time I get my 5 year loyalty point. Jump up 2 points and try to get in the hunt.

From the little I have researched there appears to be at least a January class and an April class. Wonder if a person could mix in either a coues deer or turkey hunt on their trip out to AZ....to make the trip a little more worthwhile??

Can someone give a little more info about this class. How long is the class, subject matter, difficulty, etc..? I'd like to take this class sometime in the future. I just started applying in AZ last year so not in a huge hurry as I don't think one point will make much difference at this point. Would like to at least have it by the time I get my 5 year loyalty point. Jump up 2 points and try to get in the hunt.

From the little I have researched there appears to be at least a January class and an April class. Wonder if a person could mix in either a coues deer or turkey hunt on their trip out to AZ....to make the trip a little more worthwhile??

Its a one day class if you've taken hunters safety in another State.

Its real easy, a test at the end of the day. You mainly cover AZ laws, regulations, etc. not so much on safe firearm handling as its assumed you learned that on the first course.

If you pay attention you shouldn't miss any questions...although there was only myself and 1 other guy that aced it in our class. We both got a book and video on AZ wildlife for being the top of the class.

Does anyone have any ides or tricks to get scheduled for a bonus point class? Every time I check the classes are full. I don't plan on getting one before the elk draw but man every time I look they are all full. On top of that I'm a non res so scheduling is even more of an issue. I do occasionally get to Phoenix though and have a March trip planned...would sure be sweet to get that point then. Thanks for any help.

Everyone that takes that class is a Non-resident, so your not the only one coming from out of state. Its a pain in the butt going out that far, but if you want that extra point, its the only way.

The class before the Elk/Antelope draw seems to usually be full. But the class I took before the Deer draw was about two-thirds full. Just call fish and game, ask them about the class, get the contact number, call themand put your name down on the list. I want to say Don's second class of the year is in May?

There were guys/gals in my class from all over the west, the mid-west, the southeast, and even a gentleman from Australia! As I sat in the class and contemplated where I was and why, I questioned if it was worth it. In the end I reasoned that each year I apply for a minimum of 4 species in Arizona, and God willing I hope to have the good health to be capable of doing these hunts for at least 20 more years. So that's 80 additional chances in my lifetime to draw a low random number and get a quality tag that I may otherwise have not have drawn. If it helps me draw one AZ hunt, it was worth it. I think the actual cost of the class was $8. Travel expenses vary of course.

I actually drew an elk tag last year so I tried to do some planning so I could take a day while I was out there from Oklahoma to do the test. Game and Fish lady didn't really help me much. It was a real pain trying to figure out how to do it while I was there. It's nor just a simple as going and taking the test. Seemed like to me test were just random making it very difficult. I was frustrated and gave up. Went all the way to AZ and didn't get the point.

I was out there for a wedding about a year ago and also tried to squeeze in a class. The lady at Game and Fish I talked to also had no interest whatsoever in helping me figure out if it was possible. I ended up leaving without being able to take the test. For how much I drop in nonrefundable license fees there every year I had hoped someone could take 10 minutes to help me, but I guess not. I'm hoping to take Don's class one of these years. It's hard to justify, to my wife, the time and cost to get a bonus point.

I was out there for a wedding about a year ago and also tried to squeeze in a class. The lady at Game and Fish I talked to also had no interest whatsoever in helping me figure out if it was possible. I ended up leaving without being able to take the test. For how much I drop in nonrefundable license fees there every year I had hoped someone could take 10 minutes to help me, but I guess not. I'm hoping to take Don's class one of these years. It's hard to justify, to my wife, the time and cost to get a bonus point.

Yep, that is why I was wondering if a person could mix in a hunt like Randy is currently on.....whilst taking the bonus point class on the same trip. Would actually cost more $$$ but would be more worthwhile in my opinion.

Hey ya'll I wanted to resurrect this thread and see if there is anyone who knows of the next Extra Point class in AZ.
I have been keeping my eyes peeled, but haven't seen any? Or am I looking in the wrong places and there are some available classes?
I am willing to travel! Thanks for any info. JW

Last edited:
Next class is tomorrow...........

There may be one in april, call Don next week and get on the list. I drew right after the class and am back up to 7 points.

Next class is tomorrow...........

There may be one in april, call Don next week and get on the list. I drew right after the class and am back up to 7 points.

Thank you. I did see that the Jan 5th class was full up a few weeks ago. I was hoping that AZ was going to have another one this month. Every once in a while a class will pop up in Kayenta or Flagg, which is much closer to me.
But, I will call Mr. Don as it does seem his class is the way to go.

Thanks for your help, JW

I have a question in regards to the loyalty point. Does anyone know if a person puts in for bonus point only does it still count towards your 5 years of applying for a species to obtain and retain a loyalty point?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back