Episode 46 - PA Mentions

Tom Hartland

Hey Randy, great podcast! Meant to comment earlier on a few of the things you mentioned about PA. I grew up hunting in PA, and thankfully we do not have to display the tag on our backs anymore. My dad still does put it on his back and when I ask him why - "Just because... don't worry about it"... The main reason I believe was to be able to report a violation of another hunter since the tag numbers were fairly large back in the day.

Bear: I try to find the most remote areas of the state to hunt so I approached a conservation officer a few years ago about bringing a bear out. He said I could quarter it as long as I leave the head attached to the hide and leave proof of sex, but the "scientists won't like it at the check station". There is no written rule that you can or cannot quarter it. Most PA hunters look at you cross eyed when you say you would quarter an animal, but I sure as hell would if I got a big bear in some areas.

Love the podcast!

I agree Tom, I was raised in PA and have been on quite a few goat ropes trying to get 'baar' out of the forest. NEVER AGAIN will this happen. Someday I'm going to hunt back home again and if our bear hunting group kills one its going to come out on my back, not wholesale.

-Jon

Where at in PA? I grew up in Johnstown, but we have a cabin near Emporium. I am stuck in MD now... I have had some 8-hour deer drags up there, next deer I get deep in the mountains, its coming out on my back as well.

My parents house is right down Rt 56 in New Florence. I graduated from Ligonier Valley.
I did most of my bear hunting when I was young in SGL 42. If we would have ever killed one in there, it would have been hell getting it out.

Back