Big hunt big questions

Drew

First thanks for the insight from everyone as I have been lurking on this sight for some time without ever posting. As they say opinions are like (blank) and yes I have one and you don't need to see or hear it.
Because of my job (teacher) I never have vacation time in the fall to travel (beyond my one week diy moose hunts) Well I am taking the entire fall semester off to hunt out west. Yes east coaster that lives in Americas largest state park and I can hunt it (go public land). I am going to hunt Elk and Deer and want only backpack hunts. I kill a lot of game here and I don't have to kill to be happy. Where I hunt here I do hike in 3-5 miles as I find those deer do not go nocturnal and I don't like seeing other hunters. I will be applying to many states and plan to start with a bow and transition to a gun if need be. If I have to spend 3 days packing out an animal that will only make me happier so with that said please point me in any direction and I look forward to your "opinions".
And I should say I am not looking for GPS coordinates I will do my own research.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You can hunt Wyoming without a guide, just not in a wilderness area. I'm not 100% positive on this but I believe you can hunt wilderness in WY with a resident, they don't have to be a guide. I'm sure someone on the forum can confirm or deny this.

Colorado has OTC elk tags for both archery and rifle. That being said you will have more trouble finding places without people than you will finding places with elk. But don't let that scare you off. There are a lot of elk in Colorado.

Last edited:
Lots of opportunity in Wyoming without a guide but drawing tags may limit you. I second the comment on the Montana combo tag

Lots of options. Idaho has OTC tags for elk and deer and you could apply for limited quota tags as well and they are all random draw, no point system. New Mexico you can apply as it is also a random draw with no points, but you may not get a tag. If you do there are some great hunts there though. New Mexico tags are pick your weapon and season when applying and only 5 days long though. Montana is essentially OTC as there have been leftover combo tags the last several years. Long season for bow and long season for rifle. Wyoming has some deer and elk tags you should have a guaranteed draw if you want to pay the "special" price. With their general tag you could follow around as different units open up and hunt several openers if that is something that sounds fun. Lastly Colorado has OTC elk but no OTC deer. Another pick your weapon and season with fairly short hunt dates.

Good luck and have fun. Sounds like quite the adventure.

A Wyoming resident can get a resident guide license. It is free, they just have to sign something saying that you aren't compensating them to be your guide. They can only guide 2 nonresidents per year that way though. I don't think they have to have a hunting license to get the guide license, but they have to be in the field with you.

A Wyoming resident can get a resident guide license. It is free, they just have to sign something saying that you aren't compensating them to be your guide. They can only guide 2 nonresidents per year that way though. I don't think they have to have a hunting license to get the guide license, but they have to be in the field with you.

Did read about that BUT not that I don't like my friend but I highly doubt he is going to want to chase me around wilderness areas. I know I need to call WY about this but I have a guides license in my state but I assume they don't care:)

Air charter into the Frank Church for Mule deer would be a good one, if looking for an adventure. Definitely on my futures list.

Air charter into the Frank Church for Mule deer would be a good one, if looking for an adventure. Definitely on my futures list.

This looks awesome but seems like you need a guide. Does anyone know if you can diy after fly in?

Love Idaho for the OTC options. Along with limitless wild places, your elk or deer tag can also be used on a bear, mtn lion, wolf, and you can even buy a second elk tag, if memory servers. True opportunity state!

Unless something has changed in the last 5 years in Colorado, you won't be able to bowhunt then change to rifle. The OTC bull tags for archery and rifle are both 'A' tags and you can't have more than one 'A' tag. I suppose you could buy a 'B' cow tag for archery or draw a one for rifle, but transition g from archery to rifle doesn't really work under CO's tag structure.

Thanks guys for all the thoughts. I think I will be looking at MT and UT I have been looking on Onyx maps now I just need to start reading though some threads on which units. As for Colorado am I wrong in thinking this is the state with the biggest crowds?

I believe Idaho would have unlimited draw archery antelope tags available.

Frank Church is serious country for your first adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back