Pics and more pics...

You definitely get into it NoHarley, and you have more snow that we do in Iowa. Man, I would like some white.

Whatchya hunting for in that sort of emptiness. Looks like cool country (pun intended), but not much cover from my way of thinking. Sharptails?

Yesterday fun
46236263151_6129889d33_b.jpg

In this photo lies my mule deer buck from this October. Photo taken from my shooting position.

Attachments

• 922C602A-8F2E-40DA-A1FA-EA5385E73583.jpg
    922C602A-8F2E-40DA-A1FA-EA5385E73583.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 179
Rosy-Finches!

Today we have a new yard bird, a Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch. It's a species we've never seen on our mountain property before, probably because we're in dense spruce-fir forest. They surely fly over from time to time, but just don't stop here because Rosy-Finches are birds of open areas. They nest on rocky cliffs along the top of the Continental Divide and feed on insects and seeds on the tundra and on snow fields. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches summer range is from Idaho to the Brooks Range in Alaska, and they winter in Colorado.

On October 14, we had another new yard bird, a Brown-capped Rosy-Finch. Very similar to the Gray-crowned, Brown-capped are almost exclusive to Colorado. They'll often be seen together in winter flocks along with Gray-crowned and Black Rosy-Finches. I think one reason we're seeing more of these tundra birds (like a Horned Lark two winters ago), is that we've gradually opened the forest around our cabin by cutting big trees for fire mitigation.

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch:

Gray-crowned-Rosy-Finch.jpg

Brown-capped Rosy-Finch:

Brown-capped-Rosy-Finch.jpg

Two other tundra birds that have visited the feeders around our yard are the Horned Lark, and the Harris's Sparrow. The Horned Lark is considered the most numerous and widespread bird species in Colorado, nesting in open areas from the short grass prairie to the tundra. The Harris's Sparrow is the largest North American sparrow. It nests in the far north and winters in the lower 48.

Horned-Lark-PV-2-25-17.jpg

Harris'sSparrow.jpg

Jerky smoking weekend here, 46 lbs total and 5 flavors (marinated for 24-36 hrs). In the smoker for around 7 hrs total, smoke (hickory pellets) added at 90 min for around 60-90 minutes then drop temp from 170 to 160 for the remaining 4ish hrs. I also rotate racks a few times. Place all pieces in gallon ziploc bags for a couple days to allow moisture content to equalize between pieces then vacuum seal into small portions.

Pic taken at around the two hour mark .............

x6OdItX.jpg

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back