Yeti GOBOX Collection

Muzzleloader Question

jabber

Question concerning ML use. I have a TC inline that I use pellets & a sabot as my load, the question is at the end of the day do you unload it, shoot it, or just leave alone for the use the next day? If your answer is the leave it alone, how long can you leave it loaded?

I leave it alone as long as I'm able to leave it in a place where the temp won't change and cause any condensation. If it's cold hunting season I leave it in the garage where it stays cold. If in doubt I unload it and reload before the next hunt. I've left mine loaded the entire late season here, over 2 weeks and fired it off with no problems at the end of the season. Using 777 pellets.

I leave it alone as long as I'm able to leave it in a place where the temp won't change and cause any condensation. If it's cold hunting season I leave it in the garage where it stays cold. If in doubt I unload it and reload before the next hunt. I've left mine loaded the entire late season here, over 2 weeks and fired it off with no problems at the end of the season. Using 777 pellets.

I agree with this and follow the same line of thought. I really try to avoid a fast temp change.

I once missed a doe with mine. I could litterlly see the bullet come out of the barrel and fall about 20 yards away.

I have left mine loaded for almost 3 months before! BUT, most of the time, the gun sat in my safe. I loaded it for a Northern Zone early hunt in NYS, mid Oct. and hunted with it during the late Southern Zone season the week before Christmas. Like others, if it has been in temperature changes or wet weather, change the pellets out every day to be safe.

A few years ago, my gun hang fired - the primer went pop, then a second later the gun did a muffled boom. I reloaded and killed a different deer later that same day. This year, I never shot the gun during the seasons. My gun is a TC Triumph. I removed the breech plug, tapped t for the pellets to fall out, then pushed the bullet out through the breech. A few weeks later, I took a look at the gun and the inside of the barrel had some rust in it! I then gave it a good cleaning and even oiled the barrel, normally using TC Bore Butter. My thoughts are that when I loaded the sabot, it removed the bore butter and left a dry, clean barrel that was subject to the elements of the late season snowy day hunts.

Last edited:
I have my t/c pro hunter loaded with 100 grains of powder and a Hornady sabot since Dec 19. I tape the end of the barrel to make sure moisture does not get in and I leave it in the cold garage so it isn't warming and cooling daily. I will shoot it tomorrow, the season closed today and give it a good cleaning and use bore butter on it. For safety sake I do take the primer out after every hunt and lock it in a hard gun case.

I saw the other posters doing similar to me. I will add, my muzzleloader is stainless steel. My first muzzleloader was a t/c omega with a blued barrel. I left it loaded for 12 days in Alaska with rain almost daily and the end of the barrel taped. Every night I wiped down the exterior with Rem oil and it performed flawlessly. At the end of the float it did have a few spots of rust on the exterior but the inside was fine. I use American pioneer powder.

Last edited:
I normally don't worry about unloading and reloading during the season. Like others said, I do try to remember to leave it in the cold at night so there isnt a problem with condensation. Only once have I had a problem with moisture. I forgot to tape the barrel and I got in a nasty snow storm for two days. When I shot it off the bullet only when about 30 feet, luckily I was shooting it just to empty the barrel and had a good laugh. It wouldn't have been near as funny if I would have had a deer in front of me.

To answer your other question. I have accidentally left mine loaded for 6 months (I wouldn't recommend this), but it was in the safe with a moisture collecting canister. I unloaded it by pulling the breach and tapping out the pellets and bullet. The powder still looked good, but I didn't want to risk a miss fire so I threw it away. I then cleaned hte barrel really well and was surprised that it was still in pretty good condition.

Finally, I will just shoot the gun to unload it, if I am using a cheaper bullet (i.e. power belts), but will pull the breach and reuse the bullet if it is more expensive (bloodline). I hope that helps.

I'm unloading mine more or less daily because I'm not going to waste a trip with tons of time and money because I had a misfire or hang fire. Since unloading is as easy as unscrewing the breach plug and tapping the powder and bullet out the breech I don't see a lot of reason not too. Pyrodex pellets get recycled into the range only rotation as do bullets after a couple of seatings. Loose powder gets discarded.

I have left mine loaded until the following season, but this is not a good idea, because I then start wondering if it is loaded or unloaded. There is zero problem leaving it loaded for an entire season, unless you are in very wet conditions. If unloading it makes you feel better, do it, but it is not necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back