Buck Buck Moose

ShootsManyBullets

The Warden got me this book for Xmas at my request for some new venison recipes.

Well after breaking it out last week for a couple test runs I have to give it 2 thumbs up. We had some friends over for dinner on Saturday who were quite impressed as well. Looking forward to my next meal

Great book! With a new addition to our family this fall, I've been spending a lot of time at home. It has given me the time to make a few of his meals each weekend. I've been loving it. My favorites so far have been the stroganoff and the venison with Cumberland sauce. I'd highly recommend it.

I too recently got the book, tried the elk Osso Bucco recipe for Christmas Eve dinner with the neighbors, fantastic! Won't be grinding up any lower shank meat ever again.

Yes! I also got this book for Christmas. I got his "Hunt, Gather, Cook" book a few years ago and wasn't that taken, but this one is fantastic! Looking forward to expanding my wild game repertoire

I need to get this book. I own his hunt,gather,cook and I enjoyed it. Mostly because I have family that live in the bay area so when I go visit we take a bodega bay trip for crab or rockfish. Hit home to me since i grew up familiar with that area.

I have both of Hank's books, highly recommend them. He is an adventurous soul, and I'm willing to try lot's of things, but he lost me at the deer tripe (stomach)!!!

Thanks...I ordered the book based on the fact that there are recipes for tongue/heart.

Looking forward to some new recipes with a moose in the freezer.

--Skeeter

You'll find them toward the end; the chapter called Wobbly Bits - Pages 229 to 255.

If you're on facebook, he has a group called hunt gather cook. It's pretty cool because he not only shares tips and recipes and knowledge, but members of the group also get to post their food and recipes and questions and knowledge. It's a great, civil, group.

His webpage Honest-food.net is also loaded with other recipes that didn't make the book.

Some GREAT stuff on there! My wife would hardly eat red meat or game when I married her, I discovered and started cooking Hanks recipes, now she requests those things!

Did the osso buco recipe today with boneless elk shanks and milanese risotto. Omitted the mushrooms as my wife doesn't care for them. She told me it was the best meal I've ever cooked...;)

If you're on facebook, he has a group called hunt gather cook. It's pretty cool because he not only shares tips and recipes and knowledge, but members of the group also get to post their food and recipes and questions and knowledge. It's a great, civil, group.
Ditto this.
Met up with several old hunting/cooking buddies on there too.
Tons of good info.

I did a pan seared,oven quick roast elk BS last night. Encrusted with S&P & Chipolte chile powder.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back