Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Region D, Unit 66

I am looking for any information from anyone that has hunted deer south of Casper, Wyoming in NR Region D and specifically Unit 66. I have looked through the search of old posts, but not much came up or it was older info. I am using an outfitter for a spike camp in that part of the world in October, 2017. Special deer tags have a 100% draw in that region from past drawing odds. There are muleys and whitetails. In talking with the biologist, they had a great fawn crop four years ago plus an APR of 3 pts, so there should be some decent bucks. Has anyone hunted there recently that can confirm this? This is my first hunt on my own out west. I have looked on Google Earth, have a GPS, but still need the On X Maps chip. I will be mobile with a truck, but plan to walk in to leave the road hunters. Planning on a .270. Any other advice? Season is Oct 15 through 21 or 22 (approximately). I am going to go a couple of days early to scout. Thanks for the help.

I don't have any info on that region so I'll comment on the gear. I would add in a good rangefinder, shooting sticks/bipod, and a good pair hunting/hiking shoes. Most importantly get a good pair of binoculars. Its been said may times but get the best pair you can afford.

Good luck

Oversight on my part. I have a good range finder with angle compensation, a set of Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 binoculars, and good hunting boots. Those are all products of an elk trip in 2015. I need a good pack, and some type of rifle rest. I plan on bringing a back up rifle. Thoughts on a spotting scope? Sticks or bipods? I have been on multiple canoe trips in the Boundary Waters and am comfortable packing my food. The outfitter will provide me with extra coolers if I shoot something. I am also going to try for an antelope tag, but have no points. This is just as much a scouting trip for the future as a hunting trip.

Last edited:
Been afew years but I hunted the area .Did not see very many deer and never saw a good buck. Hope things are better now.

I prefer sticks because I can't stand a bipod on my gun. I also use the sticks to prop binos. They stow easily on the waist dtrap of my pack. As far as packs you can't go wrong with mystery ranch but there are more affordable packs that are pretty good. Are you looking for a day pack or something to pack out meat?

I don't think a spotting scope is necesary but they are nice to have.

Rooster52, you are confirming what the biologist told me. They had some bad winters 5-6 years ago if I remeber correctly.. I think she said 2014 was a great fawn year. Thanks for the info.

VAspeedgoat, I love your signature. I have a day pack, but also need a pack to haul meat out on. I am willing to spend the money on a good frame pack as I hope this is not my last hunt out west. What brand of shooting sticks do you like? I am trying to stay lightweight so I can be mobile. I think I am just going to invite one other person to go with me to keep things from being over complicated.

A quality spotting scope will save miles of walking. Deer will be there but at that time in the season the bucks will be solitary for the most part. If the season goes until the 25th the bucks will start "staging up " near the doe groups. Not rutting yet just getting in the vicinity. Look into every crack, not just the hills and mountains, those mature bucks know how to hide. Mid morning start looking for bedded bucks, that is where the best glass you can afford will be worth it's weight in gold.

The kind of sticks I have are stoney point. However, I think primos bought them out. Several companies make them, just make sure they are the smaller kind. Most that I see are the larger models meant for standing.

As far as packs, a frame pack isn't mandatory neither is camo. Take a look at some outdoor stores like REI. They might have something that will work for a good price. I personally have a horn hunter full curl pack. I've heard others on here mention alps mountaineering as making a good frame pack.

I bought the Primos Trigger Sticks bipod prior to my Wyoming trip this year. I bought the longest set which works well for shooting standing, kneeling, or sitting. They are too long to use in a prone position but, I figured I could use my pack as a rest for prime shots.

Thanks for the help fellas. I am getting excited already. I have to have my homework done this winter as hay baling season is around the corner and occupies most of the summer. I have decent layers of clothing and rain gear. What are the chances of significant snow during mid October? Any other thoughts or advice?

On my first trip a guy told me to expect anything from snow storms to rattle snakes. I've handled both. Check steep and cheap, and also camofire. Both will have sales coming up on baselayer stuff. Sierra trading post is another. The snow I've and cold I've dealt with was easily taken care of by an extra layer or wearing rain gear over my normal stuff.

Nice to see a fellow farmer taking the plunge. We have a poultry operation here but also have some beef cows and some cash crops. I wish I had more spare time in October with harvest. Good luck on everything.

I was just wondering whether or not to throw the snow shoes in. We have already had 80" of snow. VASpeedgoat, you ought to move nrth, our farming season is over when stocker cattle leave around Oct 1. Thoughts on bipod versus tripod? I was kind of thinking tripod so I could use it for the spotting scope, but have no actual experience. Thanks.

Just read your post about Wy unit 66. I have hunted 66 the last three years and from my experience 2016 was the worst but the high winds last year didn't help any. There are big areas of HMA that you can hunt but lots of traffic too. Deer herd seemed way down where we were last year compared to previous years and I would have expected the opposite due to number of small bucks we saw in 2014 and 15.

Hunted it last season, there's a lot of deer but in pockets it seems like. I packed my spotting scope and it helped huge, there's a lot of open country there. Pm me if you want, I found some great spots I'd share

Thanks for the info guys. Are there any areas with closed roads? Looking at the OnXMaps, I see a lot of trails. Just wondering if they are open to ATV usage or just foot paths, or just to ranch traffic? Mountainguide, do you have any pictures you would be willing to share? Thanks.

There are 2 tracks everywhere, kind of hard to figure them out. A gps with a chip to let you know where you're at makes life a lot easier out there.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back