MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Travel Trailer/Camper for Dispersed Camping in Wyoming

INJones

New to the Forum and a complete novice with the DIY western hunting...so take it easy on me!

Going to hunt pronghorn with my son in Wyoming this fall. Since we have an average of Zero points it's going to likely be NE Wyoming if it is going to be anywhere. Looking at Onxmaps, there appear be some promising area's in various units but they are typically pretty far from areas with motel accommodations. I fully appreciate that backpack/tent camping would be easier logistically. This will be our first solo hunt and I have only driven through this area on my way to central MT.

A couple of questions:
1. Are travel trailers/campers allowed for dispersed camping in Wyoming on BLM and State Trust Land.
2. If they are allowed would using a camper even make sense in this terrain?
3. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Scott

The units I have hunted in NE Wyoming had some state land but very little BLM. And, you cannot camp on state land. Both times we stayed in Sheridan, but Buffalo would have been just as close, or closer, to where we hunted. We stayed in a motel the first time, but didn't really like that, so the next year we camped out in a tent at the KOA in Sheridan. They also have cabins available. Buffalo also has a KOA, and other campgrounds/RV parks that are very hunter friendly. Just be sure to make reservations months before your hunt. They fill up pretty fast. Now if there is more BLM land in the areas you plan to hunt, camping in a trailer on BLM land may very well be a good option. Just remember, no camping on state land.

New to the Forum and a complete novice with the DIY western hunting...so take it easy on me!

Going to hunt pronghorn with my son in Wyoming this fall. Since we have an average of Zero points it's going to likely be NE Wyoming if it is going to be anywhere. Looking at Onxmaps, there appear be some promising area's in various units but they are typically pretty far from areas with motel accommodations. I fully appreciate that backpack/tent camping would be easier logistically. This will be our first solo hunt and I have only driven through this area on my way to central MT.

A couple of questions:
1. Are travel trailers/campers allowed for dispersed camping in Wyoming on BLM and State Trust Land.
2. If they are allowed would using a camper even make sense in this terrain?
3. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Scott

1---Camping is allowed on BLM and NF lands, but not on any state land.
2---Definitely if you have access to one.
3---There are units that you can draw east of I-25 that are not up in the far NE and that might be as good or better than where you're talking about.

My last hunt in WY was near Douglas and we saw a couple of guys using campers. They basically just pulled off of the county roads on BLM pull off areas and camped. So it was definitely doable. One thing that they had to deal with though was the constant dust from the truck traffic to and from the oil fields. They were also pretty much out in the wide open whereas we had tents so we were able to get off the main county roads a ways and use some hills for a wind break.

I will not hunt anywhere that I cannot stay in my camper. No more tent camping for me and sometimes motels are not conveneant. I have a 24 foot JAYCO with a slide out on one side and it is great .Warm and confy.

I will not hunt anywhere that I cannot stay in my camper. No more tent camping for me and sometimes motels are not conveneant. I have a 24 foot JAYCO with a slide out on one side and it is great .Warm and confy.

I camped in a tent one time in 1992 outside of Buffalo the first of my 21 years out there and it came down in a terrible wind. I've been in a camper ever since out there and like you mentioned, it's warm, dry, and comfy so I can get a good rest every night to be ready for the next day.

All, thanks for the great info.

We are kicking tires on a camper for the family because we are sick of flying places and staying in hotels on vacation. I thought it would make sense for hunting too!

Topgun - I will look around a little more. I have been using GoHunt and the Wyoming F&G website to look at our draw odds. I have a strategy in mind so we'll see...

Camper will work just fine on BLM or FS. Just bring an extra set of tires to put on the roof and everyone will think you are a local.

Good luck and have a fun hunt.

All, thanks for the great info.

We are kicking tires on a camper for the family because we are sick of flying places and staying in hotels on vacation. I thought it would make sense for hunting too!

Topgun - I will look around a little more. I have been using GoHunt and the Wyoming F&G website to look at our draw odds. I have a strategy in mind so we'll see...

Take a look at the used market as there a ton of good deals out there if you look around and you'll save a ton of money. I got rid of the popup ALiner I had used out there since 1999 and got this 19' trailer four years ago. It is in immaculate condition inside and out for a 97 model and I got it for $3700. A new one now is about $15K.2013 Hunts 044.jpg

Locally, a large box camper store had some 2016 models marked down to half price! There is a large Outdoor show in Feb and prices tend to drop then too. So we are keeping an eye out for deals for sure.

You will see every level of camper you can think of on the public lands. Converted enclosed trailers to popups to guys hauling full deal 5th wheels. Just keep an eye out for something with good ground clearance. The road we stayed on this year was littered with RV parts from some unfortunate soul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back