Caribou Gear

16/116 LIGHTWEIGHT HUNTER thoughts or comments?

I own the Savage Lightweight in .260REM and love the rifle. It's very nice when you're hiking, I like the way it handles and I'm a fan of the AccuTrigger. I shoot handloads with a Nosler 120gr. Ballistic Tip and have been very happy with the rifle setup. I also have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 7-08 (I thought it was a forum requirement). I have tried (I'm still testing loads) many different bullet-powder-seating depth combos with the Tikka and still have not been able to get it shooting close to the Savage LWH and so the Tikka is yet to go anywhere except load development trips to the range. Bottom line, from my experiences I highly recommend the Savage LWH.
Savage.jpeg

I have a Savage 16/116 FCSS Weather Warrior in 7mm Rem Mag, and I couldn't be happier with it. I know it's not the gun you're looking at, but it might be worth considering. In 7mm-08 the 16 FCSS weighs 6.9 lbs., compared to the Lightweight Hunter's 5.65 lbs, which to me is not enough of a weight difference to make a fuss about. (I had been carrying around my grandpa's 70's era Model 700 prior to the Weather Warrior.) The Weather Warrior comes with the Accustock, which is a pretty cool setup and is supposed to aid accuracy. Mine shoots about 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with 140 grain Accubonds and 65 grains of IMR 4350. Also, the Accutrigger is very easy to adjust and goes down to about 2 1/2 lbs. nice and crisp. I'm no rifle expert, and I haven't shot a Kimber or a Tikka, but for the money a Savage is a great deal. Happy hunting!

Bad joke alert....... Jose based on the thread title, I originally I thought you were calling yourself a LIGHTWEIGHT HUNTER, and were requesting help in districts 16/116 😳

It sure seems like there is a plethora of knowledgable gun enthusiasts on this forum, with multiple viewpoints.

"better options in fit/finish for that listed price" <----- Speak to me. I am listening.

Niche is a lightweight tack driver, that after killing critters high in the rocks, I can remove the scope and toss the gun off the side of a cliff and not have second thoughts.
At that price point I'd also look at the Kimber Hunter and Tikka Superlight. Considering I know your real budget for something like this, I suggest you just give Melvin Forbes a call at New Ultra Light Arms and order a Model 20 in the configuration you want. Have schmaltz drop ship the Leupold of your choice to him and he'll get it all set up for you. Spend some of that Williston, ND money and live a little. Let you daughter pick out the stock colors.

FWIW, Savage's short action is one of the longer short actions...

I own the Savage Lightweight in .260REM and love the rifle. It's very nice when you're hiking, I like the way it handles and I'm a fan of the AccuTrigger. I shoot handloads with a Nosler 120gr. Ballistic Tip and have been very happy with the rifle setup. I also have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 7-08 (I thought it was a forum requirement). I have tried (I'm still testing loads) many different bullet-powder-seating depth combos with the Tikka and still have not been able to get it shooting close to the Savage LWH and so the Tikka is yet to go anywhere except load development trips to the range. Bottom line, from my experiences I highly recommend the Savage LWH.
View attachment 66448

Nice setup! I love my .260!

I've been wanting one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor since they came out. I have a 116 FCSS in 300 win mag that's been a great rifle, but it's been a little cumbersome in the deer woods of TN. I'm thinking a light, compact rifle like this would be just the ticket. For the features vs price point of this gun, I think it's tough to beat. The Kimber Hunters are nice but a little more expensive and not as compact. Plus I have trouble trusting Kimber with all the problems I've read about them over the years. Tikkas are also not as compact as this one. Hoping to get one of these soon.

I have a 6.5x284 in a Savage 116 Weather Warrior. I have had it for 5 years and it has become my Go-to gun. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have. I am not real sure what the difference is in the WW and the LWH but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another savage in either model.

I've had the wood stocked version in 260 for a couple years now and really like it, so much that recently I couldn't pass up a good deal on another one in 243. Very accurate with the factory ammo I've tried. If you shop around, I've seen these sell for way below retail.

I looked at the regular lightweight hunter before that one came out and the one thing is that it's a short stock, but it was a nice action and very smooth. I ended up getting the Howa Mountain Alpine instead as the 16/116 was not out when I bought.

Got the Cabela's flyer in the mail today, they have the 16/116 Lightweight Hunter on sale for $499.99.

Damn, that's a deal. In the spirit of this thread, I should mention I also picked up a compact savage stock to turm this into a youth rifle if my kid draws this year

My Savage is a Stevens 200, which is one notch down from the basic Savage. 270 Win, 22" barrel. It is plain as a 2x4. I put a Timney trigger in it. Bolt is a little sloppy, metal finish is black matte not blued. Magazine has no floorplate, stock is pretty much Tupperware, trigger guard is plastic. Barrel is easily changeable w a wrench. Gun weighs 6.5# w Leu 2.5x8. It shoots everything from surplus to 160 gr partitions into 1 MOA. I bought it as a truck gun, but now it is my mountain rifle. Best $300 I ever spent on a gun. I have considered upgrading stock, etc, but why? It works well as it is.

I've got a Stevens 200 in 243 winchester it shoots great and is lightweight,wish you could still buy them new for $279!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back