Yeti GOBOX Collection

16/116 LIGHTWEIGHT HUNTER thoughts or comments?

I don't own one, yet, but I have held one multiple times. It's a nice rifle. Well balanced. I compared it side by side to a Kimber mountain ascent. I don't see how the Kimber is a $1,000 better gun. The only things I liked better about the Kimber were the weight and the stock. I like that the Savage has a detachable magazine. I would hate to have to cycle through all of my shells when unloading the Kimber. All in all, I'd say it's a very nice gun for the price. I hope to own one in .308 real soon.

I have one in 7mm-08 that I got for $550 and I love it. I also like the feel & balance, once I got the LOP extended for my monkey arms. I did NOT like the cheap plastic trigger guard that broke the first time after I disassembled it to clean the factory grease. I didn't have it seated correctly when I started tightening the action bolts back in and it cracked the plastic in a thin part near the trigger. I am sure that is operator error but for $30 or so the all-metal one that I ordered straight from Savage gives me much more piece of mind.

I had fun developing a load for it that shot better than me only to take a muley at 20 yards this fall. :)

It would clash with your British made Roadster... ;)

I think there are better options in fit/finish for that listed price. If you want to tinker/build your own I say have at it as there's a good sized aftermarket for Savages.

What niche are you wanting this to fill?

I have looked at the model several times in various calibers. It is on my "wishlist". Every savage I have ever owned has been a tack driver.

I'm a novice when it comes to rifle shooting, but I own this in 7mm REM mag. It's pretty comfortable to shoot. My only complaint is the trigger pull is a bit to heavy for my taste. It will probably loosen some as I shoot more, but all in all I like it.

I don't own one, yet, but I have held one multiple times. It's a nice rifle. Well balanced. I compared it side by side to a Kimber mountain ascent. I don't see how the Kimber is a $1,000 better gun. The only things I liked better about the Kimber were the weight and the stock. I like that the Savage has a detachable magazine. I would hate to have to cycle through all of my shells when unloading the Kimber. All in all, I'd say it's a very nice gun for the price. I hope to own one in .308 real soon.

I haven't actually been able to get my hands on one, so kind of curious. It is not in the weight class of the Kimber Mountain Ascent, but it is close, and is similar to the Tikka, Howa, and other "lightweights".

I have one in 7mm-08 that I got for $550 and I love it. I also like the feel & balance, once I got the LOP extended for my monkey arms. I did NOT like the cheap plastic trigger guard that broke the first time after I disassembled it to clean the factory grease. I didn't have it seated correctly when I started tightening the action bolts back in and it cracked the plastic in a thin part near the trigger. I am sure that is operator error but for $30 or so the all-metal one that I ordered straight from Savage gives me much more piece of mind.

I had fun developing a load for it that shot better than me only to take a muley at 20 yards this fall. :)

Yeah, the plastic trigger guard seems a bit cheap, but, I would want to look at it if it is plastic for weight savings, or plastic for $$$ savings.

I can respect it if it is for weight.

Pics of gun? Pics of muley?

It would clash with your British made Roadster... ;)

I think there are better options in fit/finish for that listed price. If you want to tinker/build your own I say have at it as there's a good sized aftermarket for Savages.

What niche are you wanting this to fill?

"better options in fit/finish for that listed price" <----- Speak to me. I am listening.

Niche is a lightweight tack driver, that after killing critters high in the rocks, I can remove the scope and toss the gun off the side of a cliff and not have second thoughts.

Life is too short to own a rifle with an ugly bolt configuration.;)

Seriously, I've heard nary an operational complaint. Good tool for the price point.

I have looked at the model several times in various calibers. It is on my "wishlist". Every savage I have ever owned has been a tack driver.

I own one Savage, that was a "pawn shop" find, in .243 for my kids when they were first hunting. And that thing is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot. It might be the ugliest/plainest gun I have ever handled, but it drives tacks.

I'm a novice when it comes to rifle shooting, but I own this in 7mm REM mag. It's pretty comfortable to shoot. My only complaint is the trigger pull is a bit to heavy for my taste. It will probably loosen some as I shoot more, but all in all I like it.

Does it have the adjustable trigger? or are you faced with replacing if needed?

I am sure the plastic was for weight, but it was only a few ounces more for my peace of mind. I should also add that I also swapped in a lighter trigger spring but only since I love really light trigger pull. Maybe I shaved a microgram on the smaller spring. :)

Here you go on photos. The other rifle is my late 90s 110. The deer's rack was not that big as the cell phone did a bit of fish eye but I was in such a rush to get him cleaned up by myself on an unusually hot day that I didn't bother with a redo.

rifle.jpg

deer2.jpg

Does it have the adjustable trigger? or are you faced with replacing if needed?

the lightweight hunter comes with the accutrigger, lots of people like the accutrigger and it is adjustable. I'm not sure IlliniFire has the 16/116 lightweight hunter since it does not come in 7mm Rem Mag. only short action 7mm-08. the long action version is 270 only I believe.

this rifle was on my list for lightweight mountain rifle and I almost bought one because of the great price for an accurate light rifle. just didn't like the stock very much for what I was looking for in my new rifle.

the lightweight hunter comes with the accutrigger, lots of people like the accutrigger and it is adjustable. I'm not sure IlliniFire has the 16/116 lightweight hunter since it does not come in 7mm Rem Mag. only short action 7mm-08. the long action version is 270 only I believe.

this rifle was on my list for lightweight mountain rifle and I almost bought one because of the great price for an accurate light rifle. just didn't like the stock very much for what I was looking for in my new rifle.

My apologies, I have the 116 trophy hunter. Forgive the novice, didn't realize the difference. Still has the accutrigger though.

Life is too short to own a rifle with an ugly bolt configuration.;)

Seriously, I've heard nary an operational complaint. Good tool for the price point.

That is why I have Mausers with claw extractors for Dangerous Game.

I have guns from both Capstick and Hemingway. Just for plinking.

I am sure the plastic was for weight, but it was only a few ounces more for my peace of mind. I should also add that I also swapped in a lighter trigger spring but only since I love really light trigger pull. Maybe I shaved a microgram on the smaller spring. :)

Here you go on photos. The other rifle is my late 90s 110. The deer's rack was not that big as the cell phone did a bit of fish eye but I was in such a rush to get him cleaned up by myself on an unusually hot day that I didn't bother with a redo.

View attachment 66443

View attachment 66444

I will have to get my hands on one to see what I think about the trigger guard. My initial thought is it would be cheap-looking. But, if it serves the purpose, and, I am not sure what purpose it serves other than to protect from branches, it may be ok.

That is a great deer. Gotta like a 20 yard shot.

I have always liked Timneys and the Rem 700 triggers for adjustability. I have heard similar for the AccuTrigger. My old Savage does not have.

I haven't actually been able to get my hands on one, so kind of curious. It is not in the weight class of the Kimber Mountain Ascent, but it is close, and is similar to the Tikka, Howa, and other "lightweights".

It's a pound or so heavier than the advertised weight of the Kimber Mountain Ascent. Holding one in one hand and one in the other the weight difference seemed negligible to me. For the money, I think it will be hard to beat at that price. The one I looked at was $699.

And it does have the accutrigger. The 7 mag mentioned above must not have been the lightweight Hunter. It's not offered in that caliber.

Last edited:
"better options in fit/finish for that listed price" <----- Speak to me. I am listening.

Niche is a lightweight tack driver, that after killing critters high in the rocks, I can remove the scope and toss the gun off the side of a cliff and not have second thoughts.

I was looking to fill the same niche a couple years ago. Looked at the savage but ended up going with a tikka t3 lite stainless. Though the stock is actually worse on the tikka (hard to believe) I liked the feel of the bolt and tigger better. It doesn't shoot factories all that well, but I worked up a couple of loads that do everything I need. I topped it with a small redfield 2-7x and it's light, real light...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back