MT 2017 Spring Turkey Hunt Thread

406LIFE

Now that we can harvest up to 9 birds each year I was thinking some of us who chase thunder chickens might want to trade some spots or offer suggestions on each Region.

Also don't forget that there will be a Spring Draw that offers another Tom for certain areas.

I'm in R2 looking to go to R1, R3, R4, and R5 for a Tom.

I'm in R1, lots of birds, but alot of them on private land. I can give some pointers on where to start looking if anyone wants.

It would require drawing a limited spring and maybe even a limited fall tag. In addition, Montana is a big state with huge areas completely devoid of turkeys. Each regions turkeys are mostly separated by barriers that make each region's turkeys a flock unto themselves.

Without a limited tag, you could kill 5 in the spring. You are allowed a Region 1, 2, 5, and 7 tag and a general tag. The general tag can be filled in 1, 2, 5, 6, or 7. Regions 3 and 4 are limited tags, so if you were fortunate enough to draw, you could shoot 6 birds in Spring. You'd have to travel and hunt each region. Montana's regions are large enough and turkey numbers far enough apart that the travel is similar to hunt g multiple states. Without some serious planning, and private land access, pulling it off would be difficult for a resident but not impossible. I'd classify it as unlikely for a nonresident.

Last edited:
@hobbes is right with the need to draw for the full potential of birds. However Spring draw is very favorable and I think Fall draws are almost garunteed.

Maybe BigFin should do a web exclusive and get a lackey to go chase all of them this year.

Mthuntinfool, I sent you a pm.

Is anyone willing to share some region 1 turkey information?

Anyone know when the results are posted? I put in for the first time in a unit close to home, but will hunt my normal spots over East regardless.

Spring draw is supposed to post March 15. But you know that could go either way a couple days.

@Kyle R1 Turkeys I have seen have been on NFS land. I've not yet chased them up there. Yet.

Fresh Tracks: Lackey Edition (Web Exclusive Series)
Send out some poor camera man to try and fill all 9 tags in a year. This would be amazing.

Had a great yr in MT last yr. Took birds in R1, R2, R5 and R7...R6 is on the list for this spring rand out of time last yr....R3-R4 requires a draw permit....leg work and people skills will get u access to birds in R1...and patience. Get used to being told no but just move to the next spot and ask. Later in the spring they can be found more on the national forest. Pretty much the same as what your used to in R2. They seem to either love the turkeys or hate the turkeys.

Last edited:
Also u cant shoot 9 in the spring. 5 over the counter spring birds and 1 additional if u draw a r3 or r4 tag. rest are fall tags

Also u cant shoot 9 in the spring. 5 over the counter spring birds and 1 additional if u draw a r3 or r4 tag. rest are fall tags

Also a spring R2 draw tag for mineral county. I just talked with Neal Whitney and in 282 there were ~232 applications for 200 tags.

Last edited:
IMG_5969.jpg

Picked this bad boy up at a pawn shop for $35 yesterday... score... I have a ton of spots in region 5 and between me and the girls we always manage to pull some region 3 tags.. favorite time of year for our family.. guranteed multiple thunder chickens will hit the ground.. at least a couple trips to region 7 as well. Probably shoot a few with the bows just to put the odds on their favor and make it a little fair.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back