Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico Pronghorn

aahrens_83

Looking for apply for a archery or muzzleloader tag in New Mexico for Fall 2017. Looking for any advice on location or units to apply for. I've seen a ton of pronghorn while driving through New Mexico. But am looking for areas with public land available.

Hmm, not to burst your bubble, but you should check the draw odds. I gave up hunting them as a resident because it is easier to draw oryx than them since antelope odds are about 5% or less. In my neighborhood, where I see a bunch, the odds are actually 2% or lower to draw. The best way to hunt is with tags but I haven't seen any that are affordable.

I figure when the time comes that I really want to hunt them I'll look into a state like Wyoming assuming these places are OTC (but I haven't done that research yet.)

Pronghorn are tough in New Mexico. There are only 2 muzzleloader hunts you can apply for and they're in Unit 28 (Mcgreagor Range and only 2 or 3 days PLUS dealing with a bunch of army crap) and unit 50 and 52. These happen to basically be the only public land, firearm hunts for Pronghorn in the state.

Archery may be your best route, especially as a non-resident because it sure seems like Randy can draw them.

If archery is on the list, consider Hunt Code ANT-2-170. I've drawn it a few times and there is a ton of public land. It has decent draw odds. I last had it in 2015, when we filmed the episode at the link below. If that buck is still alive, he would be a good one. If you draw, I'll give you the coordinates of where to find him.

[video=youtube_share;EDpN5ZdHhco]https://youtu.be/EDpN5ZdHhco?list=PLLdxutimd-JvVnHxn1GoeJry96xYOX55n[/video]

I've also hunted Unit 31, which has even better archery draw odds. Lots and lots of antelope there, though the public land is a bit harder to navigate.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back