MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New wall tent advice

I have two 12X14 "Colorado" Wall tents I bought used. I wouldn't go any smaller than the 12X14 for what you described. I have a wood stove that I modified to utilize a wood pellet burner. The wood pellet feeder allows you to fill the hopper right when you go to bed and set the burn rate, and not have to refill until morning. When spending time in the cold, I hang small tarps on the horizontal supports and cover the roof with a larger tarp. If you have a tarp covering the roof, you'll need a long rope to lace across the roof tarp (serpentine patter) in the event of some wind. Tie the rope to the stakes anchoring the tent. The combination of hanging tarps inside and over the roof, helps hold the heat. I, also, place a plastic tarp on the floor as a moisture barrier and then cover this with a few rugs. I may look like a gipsie, but camp is comfortable.

I have had a 14x16' Davis for 10 years and I have always had great service from them (minor repairs, replacement part for stove). Just great guys. They are also supporters of RMEF (maybe the other guys are too?).

I'm surprised guys are talking about internal frames so much. The Davis guys steered me away from the frame and I'm pretty happy they did. The pole system is significantly lighter/smaller and easier to setup/take down.

This.

The external frame is the best scenario, love it.

Easy to set up by one person.

Would never go back to an internal frame.

I can set up my tent with internal frame in less than an hour by myself. This includes getting the stove set up and cots out. Internal frames are going to be a lot more stable in the gnarly wind as well. Worth the investment. Plus it's really the only option on the prairie in my opinion.

I have 2 tents made by Reliable and 1 tent made by Davis, the reliable tents are just a little better quality than the Davis, I had all of them made special order, all 3 tents are 14 x 16 ft with 6 ft sidewalls, I didnt have any windows in any of them, talk to all of the different companys and see who will give you the best deal, I made all of the frames myself as they wont for tents with the taller walls.elk hunt 2011 001.jpg

Last edited:
My friend and I borrowed a 10x12 canvas wall tent on our first out of state trip and it was real tight. We ended buying a montana canvas 14x17 and can fit a third person easy. I would go with a 14x17 if I were you. It is really nice to have plenty of room.

I have 2 tents made by Reliable and 1 tent made by Davis, the reliable tents are just a little better quality than the Davis, I had all of them made special order, all 3 tents are 14 x 16 ft with 6 ft sidewalls, I didnt have any windows in any of them, talk to all of the different companys and see who will give you the best deal, I made all of the frames myself as they wont for tents with the taller walls.View attachment 66696

Just curious, What makes the reliable of better quality?

I have a 10x12 Reliable wall tent and have used it in all types of weather. From the teens and snow up on the Kaibab (Az) for my spring buffalo hunt to the heat of the deserts in southern AZ on an early deer hunt it's served us well. I ordered the angle kit and used EMT conduit for the poles. I look to switch to alum over EMT to lighten the load some day. For heat I use a Big Buddy heater and it'll warm up the tent very easily no matter the temp (in AZ mind you) and on low setting it keep us comfortable all night long when it was 13deg out.

I slept for a combined months worth of nights in this tent on my AZ buffalo hunt. And... it snowed every week for the 5 weeks spent on the mountain. It paid for itself on the first trip and I was a firm believer in wall tents after the hunt was over.
11139436_10204175996581481_5296915180777019601_n.jpg

This was the maiden voyage and I learned I needed to trim the poles and dial in the gear (like bring a bigger hammer).
IMG_20150215_115347078.jpg

I have slept three guys, each on a cot, in the 10x12 for a week without issue or feeling cramped. But it's best for two guys and all their gear and for extended stays. In short - I'd buy it again and recommend it to others that need a bigger tent for week long trips that will keep them dry and last a long time.

The only con's I have it bulk and weight. I've used it for a few two day scouting trips and found it to be overkill. So I picked up a Kodiak Canvas 9x8 to fit my shorter duration trips (1-2 nights) where I can still use a cot & heater but not have near the weight or setup time.

Do you guys treat your canvas in anyway? My Kodiak has never leaked, but I wasn't sure if there was a treatment or conditioner for the canvas

PA110004shrunk[1].jpg
PA110005shrunk[1].jpg

Mine is 10x12, internal frame. Plenty of room for 2. Had 3 w cots in it last Nov, cozy but doable. Heater is propane on a 5# tank, never while sleeping. Cooking happens under the tarp overhang. I can pitch it by myself in 30 min if not windy. Floor is poly tarp w carpet scrap down the middle.

The stitching and the flap connectors and just the tent in general shows better quality, we`ve used these tents hard for 15 years and we have had no issues with them, the Davis tent has also held up in the last 5 years

Do you guys treat your canvas in anyway? My Kodiak has never leaked, but I wasn't sure if there was a treatment or conditioner for the canvas

Nope. Mine came from Davis with the mold/mildew treatment and fire treatment. Worth the little bit extra it costs. When I ordered the tent I asked them about treatment and they said don't do it. Whatever they treat it with is made to last.

Nope. Mine came from Davis with the mold/mildew treatment and fire treatment. Worth the little bit extra it costs. When I ordered the tent I asked them about treatment and they said don't do it. Whatever they treat it with is made to last.

I'd think at some point you'd need to re-treat it...No?

John, I use a product on my tents that was intended for waterproofing porous concrete and it works amazingly well for canvas, its water based so you can put it on with a sprayer, it lasts atleast 2 years before next treatment. The product is a rustoleum product, Okon W2

Davis Tent is great to work with and check out their sales over the summer. Internal frame works great and takes less than an hour to have camp completely set up. Get a rain fly, the snow will slide off easier. We've had 18 inches on our internal frame tent with no problem. Our 12x14 has 4 supports on the internal frame and that makes a difference. With the fly tied down tight and staked down right winds over 50 mph will not move the tent. Most we put in our 12x14 was 4 people with wood stove and a cooking stove. Crowded but worked.12x16 would work better for 4 people.

Why do people put tarps over their tents?

Never understood that.

If you are using an internal frame, rain will wick through the canvas where the poles come into contact with the canvas. I usually put a tarp over mine if it's not windy.

If you are using an internal frame, rain will wick through the canvas where the poles come into contact with the canvas. I usually put a tarp over mine if it's not windy.

SO then why would anyone use an internal frame? I guess you always have the center poles either way though....

Back