Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New wall tent advice

tom338

Looking for a wall tent, will be my first. I do early and late hunts. Ive been looking at lots of different brands and they sort of look alike and most are priced about the same. Not sure if some are better than others. Saw a older thread that Randy replied to, that was a while ago. Anything changed since then (2011) Mostly for 2 guys, once in a while a 3rd, 10 x12 or 12 x 14? I need to do this right the first time, to darn expensive to screw up

If you want a third I would definitely go 12x14. Better too big than too small.

Lesser priced tents are not normally the same quality canvas as the more expensive ones. Lesser quality canvas tears easier, and may not be really even considered water resistant, let alone waterproof. Higher quality tents have better zippers, better cut doors that close right, etc.

12x16's are what we used for a long time. Davis Tent and Awning in Denver, CO made em. A 12x16 should be plenty big for 2 or 3 adults. They were very tough, spacious, and we actually had 2-3 college-age students that would live in them every summer for 4 summers. Larger would be nice, but the 12x16's we had were about 200 lbs each and took 2 people to load them onto mules and horses.
We have also had good luck with wall tents from and tipis from Montana Canvas in Belgrade, MT.

I will be watching this thread close. I too am looking to pull the trigger on a tent this year.

I visited Both Davis and Denver Tent when I was in Denver last spring. Both looked great, with an edge going to Denver tent as far as features, but I just looked at their prices, and they have increased too much over the Davis to make it justifiable in my mind.

Davis Tent has a great website with a TON of info on it. will help you with some questions you may have even if you do not go with one of theirs in the end.

Good luck deciding! I will be curious to see what everyone with more experience has to say!

I will be watching this thread close. I too am looking to pull the trigger on a tent this year.

I visited Both Davis and Denver Tent when I was in Denver last spring. Both looked great, with an edge going to Denver tent as far as features, but I just looked at their prices, and they have increased too much over the Davis to make it justifiable in my mind.

Davis Tent has a great website with a TON of info on it. will help you with some questions you may have even if you do not go with one of theirs in the end.

Good luck deciding! I will be curious to see what everyone with more experience has to say!

I also will be following closely.

I too was surprised by how much more $$$ the Denver was over the Davis. The davis seems like all a guy would ever really need.

We bought a 14x16 from Davis this year. Had 5 guys plus the stove for a week this fall. We love it and can't say enough good things.

I also will be following closely.

I too was surprised by how much more $$$ the Denver was over the Davis. The davis seems like all a guy would ever really need.

Yeah you are probably right. Seeing them both in person, there are a few things I liked better about the Colorado tent by Denver... I liked the three way zipper door and screen, all the clasps and buckles are metal, the screens seem like better material, and the internal frame angles seemed beefier/ adjustable to name a few.

I am a spend it once and be happy with it kind of guy with something like this, but the cost/ benefit is out of wack for the Denver tent with their increased prices vs. the 2015 price list I have

I agree with the above, no smaller than 12x14.

Look carefully at the frame options while shopping. I have 2 12x14 tents. One has only one aluminum roof support in the middle (3 total). The other has 2 (4 total), made of galvanized 1" electric conduit.

The single-support aluminum frame started bending under just 4 inches of wet snow during an elk hunt a few years ago.

I have had the other one with 4 roof beams set up for over a year and a half - all of last winter and to date this winter - it is still standing and not bent. Here's what the 4-beam tent looked like a couple weeks ago when I visited camp. There's about 15 inches of snow in the flat areas.
IMG_6241.jpg

Yeah you are probably right. Seeing them both in person, there are a few things I liked better about the Colorado tent by Denver... I liked the three way zipper door and screen, all the clasps and buckles are metal, the screens seem like better material, and the internal frame angles seemed beefier/ adjustable to name a few.

I am a spend it once and be happy with it kind of guy with something like this, but the cost/ benefit is out of wack for the Denver tent with their increased prices vs. the 2015 price list I have

Right there with you BB on the buy once mentality. Having never actually got to see either in person, It's good to hear from someone who has. Davis has the 14x16 with angle kit as a monthly special right now for 799.00 A comparable tent (14x17) from Denver right now is a 1800.00 tent!

I have a Davis 12X14 that my dad and I used in New Mexico this past fall. It is a great tent. Everything about it is high quality and built with the user in mind. The customer service is great as well. I ordered a floor to lay down in mine that is really handy too. I believe it was a little over a $100.

I have a Kodiak Canvass 10x10. 2 guys and 2 dogs were comfortable for a week trip. Lifeitme warranty, bathtub bottom, well ventilated. I love mine. No hole for a wood stove, but the MR. Buddy heater works great. 1 Can lasted that whole trip.

Its not a traditional wall tent, but considering features and price I am not unhappy.

Davis wall tents and Montana Canvass tents are both good quality tents and I don't think you will go wrong either way. One thing to keep in mind on the size, the bigger the tent the harder it is to keep warm. A couple years ago we had 4 adult males in a 10x12 Montana canvass tent. Even with the stove we still had room for all four of us and it stayed plenty warm in about -20 to -25 weather. If you go any bigger, particularly when it is brutal cold, I don't think you will keep the inside of the tent warm at night. Just my two cents.

I can't imagine a tent being better than my Davis. Extremely well made. I've had it in 55 mph winds with no problem.

If you can wait until March or April, I believe, Davis usually runs specials that could save you a few more bucks. I have a 14 x 16 from Davis and love it.

I bought a Davis 12X14 tent more than 30 years ago. Other than repairing a hole left by a crazed squirrel it's going strong. Just be sure to really dry it before you pack it away to avoid rot and mildew. 12x14 is great for 2 hunters with lots of gear, good for 3 with some gear, I've slept 4 in a pinch. A 5' sidewall gives you more room. We use army-style cots with a pad, very comfortable, keeps most critters off and you can stow a lot of gear underneath out of the way. Put down a tarp with carpet samples to stand on. I carry snap traps for occasional vermin. A wall tent provides more room than a camper and most trailers. A wall tent is a great investment, I started being more successful when I could stay out days at a time, dry wet gear and be warm and dry at night to get some rest so I could hunt harder.

Another vote for Davis Tent.

I have one that is now on 4 years, much better than our previous tent, from another seller.

Davis has a great deal right now on 14x16's If you think you need one that size, pull the trigger.

I have had a 14x16' Davis for 10 years and I have always had great service from them (minor repairs, replacement part for stove). Just great guys. They are also supporters of RMEF (maybe the other guys are too?).

I'm surprised guys are talking about internal frames so much. The Davis guys steered me away from the frame and I'm pretty happy they did. The pole system is significantly lighter/smaller and easier to setup/take down.

I have an older Montana Canvas 12x14. I also have the 12x12 relite kitchen for it. Just the tent 4 guys is snug with the kitchen it is great. Done 5 but it was crowded. My tent came with an old ridge pole set up then I made a frame with corners and EMT pipe. The internal frame is heaver and more pipes but way better in snow and easy to set up by myself if needed. I got the tent 2nd hand and it way over 20 yearz old still is in great condition.DSC01451.jpg

I have had a Montana Canvas 12x17' for a few years now.
Easily can fit 5-6 guys with a stove and cooking area.
Had it in high winds up on the Highline and -30 in the Bighole.
Its been great. Nothing like a warm wall tent after chasing elk.

IMG_20141118_110430872!!!.jpg

Sorry about the blurry, it was so cold my camera fogged up.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back