Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help with scope

Big Ears

Hi am looking way forward but planning an Elk hunt in Montana in 2018, with help from you guys have decided on bringing the 30-06 so am now looking at lightweight scopes. I have an old 8x56 Zeiss which I could bring but wondered whether a variable mag scope might be better. Three scopes have caught my eye, the leupold vr-6 2-12x42, the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 and the larger 3-10x50. the lightest is the Z3 42mm which is 6 oz lighter than the other two.

My questions are; is 10x mag enough? Is 42mm objective enough or Would I be better getting the 50mm objective for low light situations?

Would all of them be ok or do you guys have any idea which would be best?

Thanks for any help.

BE

10x is plenty, as is 42mm objective. The Z3 is a good scope, guessing the 1" tube allows the lighter weight. That said, I'd go with the VX6....

I spoke with Jim Zumbo at a show and he uses a fixed 4x where he hunts. More often than not he is where you could not see 300 yards as the bull elk approaches. I use a 6x fixed on the rifle I use for elk.

I use a tactical variable on the gun I have for pronghorn/goat/sheep.

For deer, I use the rifle above that makes sense for the terrain.

If you are hunting big sage flats for elk then a variable makes sense. If in timber then a fixed is simpler to deal with though a variable is okay if you remember to adjust the power for the terrain. Shots can be quick in timber.

Lots of 'right' scopes out there, just as there are many opinions on what is the right scope. IMO, solid cheek weld is important so most of the time I've chosen scopes with 40 to 44mm objectives. The 10x magnification is enough, but I like magnification so my last scope was a VX6 3-18, I've also got a VX3 4.5-14, both great scopes. Al the scopes you're looking at are good scopes.

Best depends on you, how you hunt, and where you hunt. I used to have a 14x and now use a 22x 56mm scope and won't own another 14x. I haven't turned my scope off 22x since it came out of the box but where you hunt may be a different story.

Weight would only enter my thoughts when I was looking for scopes to avoid.

Don't worry about low light Big Ears, it is different in Montana, whilst we can shoot an hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset, they can only shoot 30 mins either side, so there is plenty of light left compared to what we are used to.
If i could afford a variable that is what i would have taken on previous visits.
Cheers
Richard

Since you mention the fixed 8X; I'm not scared to recommend a Leupold fixed 6X with the Long Range Duplex reticle. Sight the bottom dot in at 400yds and see where the others fall in line with the load you use.

I use a variable , 3x-9x leupold , and basically use the 3x when in the trees and the 9x when in the open. I have several leupold scopes / binos and they are a great product. I know there are products with better glass that cost a lot more but leupold is a fine for hunting.

Just an update and a thanks to all who commented. Really taken by the leupold fire dot VX-6 but cannot find anyone here in the UK who stocks them. So looked at Z3 and read there were potential issues with accuracy on larger calibres due to recoil and as it is to go on a 30-06 without a moderator felt a bit unsure. I cannot stretch to a Z6i but could look at a 1.7-10x42 Z6 (about the same price as the Z3) and forego the illumination with an 4a reticle I think this will be OK. Will still hunt for the Leupold but if it still is unavailable in the UK as least I have a fallback.

BE

That 8x will work perfectly. You do not need a variable. If you do decide to buy one, 10x is more than enough. I have a 6x Super Sniper on my 7 mag and shot an elk at 320 yards a couple months back. It was more than enough and that rifle/scope is a half moa shooter at 550 yards for me. A good, dependable scope is more important than the power.

I wish that there were more options in 8x, as I believe that is a very good compromise.

I was planning to put the 8x56 on for now and see how I get on with the British deer. Supposed I am worried that a big target close up may be an issue rather than those far away. I have no experience of hunting Elk so am grateful for any advice thank you.

I just put a 10x on a .260. It is not a real problem up close. Unless you are hunting very thick timber, you will probably not be close enough to matter. I would gladly take an 8x on any elk hunt that I have ever been on.

I have found that with a variable, the scope always seems to be on the wrong power when the critter shows up.

BE, you knew my 30-06 Browning and my 8 x 56 scope.
2012 Montana hunt: 404 yards Mule deer, 200 yards Whitetail doe
2014 Montana hunt: 396 yards Whitetail Buck. 236 yards Bull Elk
2016 Montana hunt: 176 yards Whitetail buck.
In the UK, too many reds, fallow and roe to mention.
All courtesy of my Schmidt and Bender 8x56.
You will be fine in 2018.
Cheers
Richard

Killer deals right now on Leupold VX6 scopes if you don't need the firedot. Cabelas has them for <$700.00 right now. I couldn't pass it up.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back