Suppresors in Montana

Blackbart

Is it legal to use them for big game hunting? Do you need a license to own them?

We are moving to Montana in the next few months and I'm looking for information on everything I can think of. Thanks for the help

Yep it IS legal to hunt big game with them. No you do not need a license to own one. All you need to do is fill out the proper paperwork and wait about 8 months. Just be warned that if you buy one, you're going to want 2 or 3 or 4. They're addicting...

Sorry about the typo

Last edited:
IIRC last session Bullock signed a bill making it legal to hunt big game with a suppressor.

Suppressors can be used in MT for hunting. All you need is $200 for the stamp, funds for the suppressor and time (8-10 months).

I have a friend who builds them and have had the opportunity to shoot an AR15 with one. One more thing to add to the list when we get there. Thanks guys.

Why wait? I'd get the process going as soon as possible. What part of the state are you moving to?

I heard that the stamp thing may even go away.

One can only hope.

How would that affect HB250 in Montana? Seems to me that newly acquired (non-nfa registered suppressors) would be illegal to hunt with. Or do I read that incorrectly?

Guess I'm in the minority. I'll never have one. And yeah, I've fired rifles with them. Not worth the cost. mtmuley

Guess I'm in the minority. I'll never have one. And yeah, I've fired rifles with them. Not worth the cost. mtmuley

I totally agree, but for those that like them, Trump Jr. wants to make it easier to buy/own one. We will see what happens.

They are too expensive for what you get in my opinion. I have a friend that has one and I am not impressed. It is still too loud to have been "silenced". Unless you shoot subsonic loads, the crack of the bullet is still way loud.

I was surprised at how loud the rifles still were with one attached. I think they should be legal to hunt with, and easier to get, but I'll never have one on a hunting rifle. Why have all that extra weight on the end of a barrel? mtmuley

To each their own but Firing an AR with one, I thought the loudest part was the action cycling. Maybe their louder in MT:)

Semi rifles will be louder than a bolt gun as the gasses are traveling back towards your face. I currently have a rugged surge in jail. For me a suppressor is worth it for hearing. I bring foamies and ear pro but never use it in the heat of the moment.

To each their own but Firing an AR with one, I thought the loudest part was the action cycling. Maybe their louder in MT:)

I doubt I would use one on my big game rifles. I agree that they are not worth the cost, weight, or limited use.

However, I would very much like to suppress my .22LR and varmint rigs. And doing so without a $200 per stamp tax, paperwork, interstate travel restrictions, wait times, etc., would be much more appealing.

If they become non-NFA items, I think market forces will drive costs down considerably.

Blackbart, if you start the process of getting one now and H.R.3799 (National Hearing Protection Act) passes, then you'll get your $200 tax stamp refunded. If that passes, I'm sure you'll see a spike in suppressor sales and later a drop in price, but if you want one I'd start the process now. Here's a link showing where they're legal to own and hunt with Suppressor Map. I wish I had started using one a few decades ago, tinnitus is not much fun 24/7.

They aren't quiet enough to warrant the cost. And I fired two different ARs. And I was in Wyoming. mtmuley

I don't think the pricing on suppressors is really going to drop companies have a lot of money in R&D and are using expensive metals that are hard to work with like stelite.

Probably a silly question, but why would you need several of them? Can't you exchange them between rifles?

Yep it IS legal to hunt big game with them. No you do not need a license to own one. All you need to do is fill out the proper paperwork and wait about 8 months. Just be warned that if you buy one, you're going to want 2 or 3 or 4. They're addicting...

Sorry about the typo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back