Default New from the UP of Michigan

Just thought I would say hello from the eastern UP of Michigan. 2' of snow and 15F right now. I am originally from northern Indiana. Got to go west in 2015 for the first time. Once I got west of the Missouri River in South Dakota, I don't think I slept more than 5 hrs a night because I didn't want to miss anything. My elk bull is still in Idaho, stupid tree branch anyway. Here is my whitetail from northern Indiana last year. This looks like a great place to learn.

Planning on visiting Wyoming this fall to go mule deer hunting. I have only got one mule deer doe in Gillette, WY, but it was at 75 mph with a truck.

Thanks.

JeremyName:  2015 Indiana whitetail.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  240.4 KB

Welcome!
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, handguns, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 (but I'm still damned sexy)

That's a dandy Hoosier buck. I really like the UP for summer camping, I wouldn't want to trade the deer hunting though.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck planning your hunts..

Welcome! Is that a double throat patch on that buck?

Welcome! Any good grouse spots up in UP?

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard from the south central part of the U.P.

Nice buck. What town are you from in the UP? I do a lot of camping and fishing around Naubinway and Newberry

We farm between Brimley and Rudyard. We have sharp-tailed and ruffed grouse (partridge) on our farm. We actually open our farm up to public sharp tail hunting through the DNR. I have yet to see a buck while hunting up here. Have seen a couple of wolves. Been a great change in scenery compared to the farm fields of Indiana. Can't beat the north woods once it gets in your blood. The Indiana deer does have a double throat patch. Probably should of had him mounted, but no funds after going to Idaho.

Welcome from Iowa

Welcome! I went to college in the Soo. Have you seen any pheasants yet up there? My friend found a couple pheasants out that way. Try still hunting for deer; lots of real estate out there and super low densities.

welcome and nice buck!

Welcome. There are a few other Yoopers on here as well.

You should have made your handle "Yooper". Have you seen Escanaba in da Moonlight? Is that really how yall are over there?
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Welcome to hunttalk, more than one Yoop around the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Flatrock View Post
    Welcome. There are a few other Yoopers on here as well.
    Hate to get all technical, but true Yoopers were born in Yooperland

"Yooper" is an actual word recognized in dictionaries. Was added not many years ago. The person responsible for Yooper being recognized has quite the story on how it came about. Basically wrote letters to merriam-webster for 10 plus years, under a made up name, on Yooper heritage, traditions, etc. Guess they finally had enough and decided to add it.

18. Default

Welcome from a true Yooper. Glad the northwood bug got ahold of you. Finding deer up there is hard but the reward at the end is well worth it. It is all what you put into and what you want out of it. I hunt to be with family and put food on our table. But glad to see another person from the the Great Lake state.

All I can say, yooper or not, its a great place to live.
    Almost anyone can shoot an elk at 30 yards with a rifle, but it takes a marksman to hit a 2" branch at 30 yards to allow the 6x6 bull to get bigger for next year. My consolation prize was my personal unicorn, Winchester M70 in .257 Roberts. Never let your wife know you went to a gun shop on a hunting trip.

True Dat! The walleye fishing on the river ain't bad either