Caribou Gear Tarp

New from the UP of Michigan

Just thought I would say hello from the eastern UP of Michigan. 2' of snow and 15F right now. I am originally from northern Indiana. Got to go west in 2015 for the first time. Once I got west of the Missouri River in South Dakota, I don't think I slept more than 5 hrs a night because I didn't want to miss anything. My elk bull is still in Idaho, stupid tree branch anyway. Here is my whitetail from northern Indiana last year. This looks like a great place to learn.

Planning on visiting Wyoming this fall to go mule deer hunting. I have only got one mule deer doe in Gillette, WY, but it was at 75 mph with a truck.

Thanks.

Jeremy2015 Indiana whitetail.jpg

That's a dandy Hoosier buck. I really like the UP for summer camping, I wouldn't want to trade the deer hunting though.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck planning your hunts..

We farm between Brimley and Rudyard. We have sharp-tailed and ruffed grouse (partridge) on our farm. We actually open our farm up to public sharp tail hunting through the DNR. I have yet to see a buck while hunting up here. Have seen a couple of wolves. Been a great change in scenery compared to the farm fields of Indiana. Can't beat the north woods once it gets in your blood. The Indiana deer does have a double throat patch. Probably should of had him mounted, but no funds after going to Idaho.

Welcome! I went to college in the Soo. Have you seen any pheasants yet up there? My friend found a couple pheasants out that way. Try still hunting for deer; lots of real estate out there and super low densities.

You should have made your handle "Yooper". Have you seen Escanaba in da Moonlight? Is that really how yall are over there?

"Yooper" is an actual word recognized in dictionaries. Was added not many years ago. The person responsible for Yooper being recognized has quite the story on how it came about. Basically wrote letters to merriam-webster for 10 plus years, under a made up name, on Yooper heritage, traditions, etc. Guess they finally had enough and decided to add it.

Welcome from a true Yooper. Glad the northwood bug got ahold of you. Finding deer up there is hard but the reward at the end is well worth it. It is all what you put into and what you want out of it. I hunt to be with family and put food on our table. But glad to see another person from the the Great Lake state.

Back