Sleeping bag recommendations?

Ive had Good luck with Marmot bags. Had both synthetic and down. I prefer down if you can avoid getting it wet. It's lighter and compresses a little better plus it seems to retain its loft better then the synthetic over time. Don't store either type compressed, lay them out or put them into a large bag. Also as someone above said, get a good lightweight sleeping pad. It makes all the difference in the world.

I'm a big fan of the Big Agnes system as I'm a flopper and a side sleeper. Having the bag/pad attached keeps me from rolling off. I've had a good 10+ year run with a 20º Lost Ranger

Honestly, go into REI and talk to their experts, climb inside their bags. See what you like.

There is a reason why they have been in business so many years.

The REI Flash down 29 degree bag has been great for me. On sale under $200 and 1 lb, 10oz for a mid temps bag.

I'm very happy with my Marmot Helium. It's roomy for a mummy bag and, though it has a 15 degree rating, it has kept me warm down into the single digits wearing nothing but my undies. It compresses very well and is light. I was saving my money for a Western Mountaineering Badger bag but just couldn't pass up a great deal on the Marmot. It's maybe one of the only times where I've bought the cheaper option and have not regretted it. I'm 5'10" and 160 pounds and like the extra room of the Long/Wide version. It allows me to throw a Kifaru Woobie inside and, with that combo, I've been comfortable down to -10. It's also important to have a good sleeping pad under you if you want to push the temperature rating.

My wife got me a Kuiu 15* bag last year, I really, really like it. I had good Marmot and North Face bags previously. For my coldest hunts (less than 20* or so) I have a compressible down blanket, similar to a Kifaru Woobie, that I'll pack along for extra warmth.

I been using a Mountain Hardwear Wraith -20 deg bag for a couple years on my back country hunts. It has served me very well. I will say it is extremely warm...too warm in some cases. But I would rather have the option of unziping to let some cool air in that freezing my butt off with a cheaper or lower rated bag. It all depends on the time of year and where you'll be using it.

Another vote for a quilt. I have an EE Revelation 10F in long/wide and coupled with my long/wide NeoAir Xlite, sleep better in the backcountry than I ever have. Also a side sleeper and move around a bit and found I'd get all twisted up in a mummy bag by morning. No hood so I wear a hat to sleep in (always have anyway). Total weight is 27 oz for the quilt.

I've just found that a quilt has been far easier for me being a side sleeper than any of the mummy style sleeping bags out there.

I sold my wide quilt after one weekend because I toss and turn so much that I would get drafts. No thanks and I couldn't imagine going even wider than that EE's wide.

I'm a big fan of the Big Agnes system as I'm a flopper and a side sleeper. Having the bag/pad attached keeps me from rolling off. I've had a good 10+ year run with a 20º Lost Ranger

This might be the route I go as I loved the idea of a quilt locking you do to the pad while you turn and I see that BA now has WIDE LONG Lost Ranger bag that takes my 25" wide pad. I will admit that the quilt was so lightweight that adding 2 pounds is going to suck to think about.

This might be the route I go as I loved the idea of a quilt locking you do to the pad while you turn and I see that BA now has WIDE LONG Lost Ranger bag that takes my 25" wide pad. I will admit that the quilt was so lightweight that adding 2 pounds is going to suck to think about.
You won't notice it if you sleep better. Don't be afraid of their pads. The 2.5" of loft is NICE!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the slumberjack. Other than it being heavy and its a synthetic. I have one, been backpacking with it since 2002 I think, its a +40 I believe, I used it this past season with my pack goats, slept with a pad down to 32 degree's with my long johns on and it was a rainy wet SOB, so it was a moist cool trip. Did great, I will admit that it is heavy and not a real good bag, I put a heavy duty zipper on it since the one it came with was junk, I see there bags are lighter now than when I bought mine back in the day, if your looking for a cheaper option or a starter bag this is a decent bag for the money. I hope too upgrade, i'm not too worried about weight now that I have my pack goats. Good thread
Matt

outdoor vitals down 0 degree on amazon for 164 free shipping with prime. The thing was a beast in colorado elk hunting and packs small, I also have a kelty 40 degree that I got at Dicks for like $60 on sale that is nice for cool weather.

I use a Mountain Hardware Ratio 15 degree bag. I've been really happy with it. This fall I bought a Sea to Summit Reactor fleece liner for my bag. We were going on a late season hunt and I didn't want to pop for a 0 or -15 degree bag so this was my $75 fix and I was remarkably happy with it. In fact I may even add a lightweight liner to the bag for summer and fall camping.

I'll add another vote for Marmot. I have the Sawtooth that's rated for 15. Honestly, I feel it was pretty accurate. I haven't slept in 15 yet, but it got down to 20-25 and I was still warm. And that wasn't with a base layer. I think with a base layer I could've gone a bit further.

Pretty decent price point ($250ish IIRC), and not the lightest weight (48oz), but I thought it was a good combination of features and price point.

I run a Big Agnes system with a 15F bag and insulated Q Core pad. It's worked great especially since I can't sleep in mummy bags.

Hey folks,

I am new to backpack hunting and I am looking for some tips on sleeping bags .

If I were to invest in one high quality sleeping bag, what is a good all-weather bag that I should consider?

No such thing as "one, all weather bag" I just camped in Adak Alaska this January in a -20 down bag, perfect. Last January I camped in the Florida everglades where a -20 bag would cook me. The 40* bag I used in Florida would have lef y me like a popsicle in Adak. I own bags 40*, 20*, 0*,-20*. These are my all weather bags.

Back