which state is best for pronghorn

whitetailer

Hey I would like to do a pronghorn hunt out west what states do you all think has a better pronghorn population in it. I play football and my dad farms I now October is a bad time to go. If there is any late season hunting please include that. But mid to late november is a better time to go. Like I said before please include any last minute deals. Thank you.

Last edited:
Biggest speed goat I've ever seen was outside Salmon Idaho. But you didn't ask who had the biggest just where the population was highest. In my travel through the northwestern states I would say I've seen more pronghorns in Wyoming than any other. I've seen some very nice ones by Lonepine, Wyoming headed into to Hoop Lake. But you have to be careful because the Utah state line is right in that area. I've heard New Mexico has a great population and some really nice ones but I haven't scouted that state. Of course Montana and Utah hold a strong population as does Arizona and Colorado. Come to think of it I don't know of any western state that is short on them. But if I had my choice to hunt them anywhere it would be Idaho and then Wyoming. Just my opinion.

Which state are you traveling from?

Pronghorn bucks can shed horns late in the fall so keep that in mind if go late season.

WY is by far the easiest state to obtain a buck pronghorn tag as a non-resident. Seasons are typically a few weeks long.

There are other states, though. I have drawn pronghorn tags in WY (5x), OR (2x), NM (3x), MT (1x), NV (1x), UT (1x) and bought a tag in TX (1x). NM changed their non-resident allocation so is much tougher to draw there now. I used to be a resident of OR so was applying for everything there. I have enough points to draw in CO but have not used the points yet. You can get an archery tag in ID. You can buy a landowner tag in NM but those seasons are less that a week long.

Realistically, if you need your father to go on the hunt and he farms then that can make planning difficult as harvests are hard to predict if get some rains near harvest, etc. Also, if you play sports or have a job that requires you to not be gone 5 - 10 days then that is an issue for hunting big game out West.

Fishing may be a better option for seeing the West until you are able to sync up free time with hunting seasons. Or, look into deer and elk in MT were are very long seasons.

Look into New Mexico archery antelope. Better draw odds than rifle, season takes place at the end of August.

Some units in NE Wyoming have antelope tags that go into November, but keep in mind public access being a issue. Just a thought.

If your wanting to see a lot of antelope, hands down Wyoming. Plenty of units open up on or around September 15th in WY.

Montana's season closes sometime about a week into November.

Those two states are about as easy as it gets for drawing antelope buck rifle tags.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back