Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default MT- chance of drawing deer tags?

My sons and I are contemplating a MT deer hunt in 2017. It will be outfitted as opposed to DIY. The outfitter offers a "Outfitters Deer Tag" at around $1100. I see that the state draw tag goes for under $600. My question is what are the chances for drawing a state tag in our first year of applying?

they are almost always 100% draw success every year. some years there are surplus as well, but I wouldn't count on the surplus.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

As said the past 5 or so years they've been 100%. Though I think last year was the first year in awhile there were some who didn't draw. You'd have to be very unlucky to not get drawn

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by beartoothfront View Post
    As said the past 5 or so years they've been 100%. Though I think last year was the first year in awhile there were some who didn't draw. You'd have to be very unlucky to not get drawn
    Everyone who applied drew a deer tag . There were over 400 surplus tags

What outfitter offers this special "outfitters deer license"?

Draw odds were 100% last year unless you checked the box wanting to get your refund if you didn't draw any permits, which would be why some guys "didn't draw" deer tags last season.

As far as the outfitter license, it sounds like your guy hasn't updated his info for a while. Up until about half a decade ago, non residents were able to apply for outfitter allocated tags, which went for a lot higher price than the general tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I find the "outfitters deer license" real interesting. I would start looking for a different outfitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Both his outfitting license and the tags are made with Microsoft Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

9. Default

No way I'd hire an outfitter to hunt deer in Montana , you can kill just as good a deer on public land with a handheld gps with Montana onx map chip and save the cash a outfitter would charge

Quote Originally Posted by 8andcounting View Post
    No way I'd hire an outfitter to hunt deer in Montana , you can kill just as good a deer on public land with a handheld gps with Montana onx map chip and save the cash a outfitter would charge
    +1000000

11. Default

If he is indeed selling an "outfitter guaranteed" tag for $1100, he is pocketing about $450 himself. We haven't had outfitter sponsored licenses in MT for several years. He is either operating with an old website or a new scheme.

Did the outfitter tell you he could get outfitter tags or is that information you read on a website?

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HalfAce View Post
    Draw odds were 100% last year unless you checked the box wanting to get your refund if you didn't draw any permits, which would be why some guys "didn't draw" deer tags last season.

As far as the outfitter license, it sounds like your guy hasn't updated his info for a while. Up until about half a decade ago, non residents were able to apply for outfitter allocated tags, which went for a lot higher price than the general tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Martin View Post
    If he is indeed selling an "outfitter guaranteed" tag for $1100, he is pocketing about $450 himself. We haven't had outfitter sponsored licenses in MT for several years. He is either operating with an old website or a new scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by 280rem View Post
    Did the outfitter tell you he could get outfitter tags or is that information you read on a website?
    The info was on the website and does not look to have been updated since 2014.

<http://www.gardnerranchoutfitters.com/frequently-asked-questions/>

The main reason we've looked at this outfitter is because a good friend of one of my sons hunts with them almost every year.

Thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciated.

I'd buy a license, an onxmaps chip, rent a forest service cabin (about $30 bucks a night most cases) in a decent general deer area and go unless you are dead set on getting an outfitter.

15. Default

Most forest service cabins would be in elk country aren't they ?

So, would you be deer hunting around Broadus?
    Life's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you've got.

From the looks of the weather up there, I'd bet there is going to be a hell of a winter kill and fawn deaths. I hope FWP takes this into account when they set quotas and tag allotments, especially doe tags. Just my opinion...
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, handguns, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 (but I'm still damned sexy)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    I hope FWP takes this into account when they set quotas and tag allotments, especially doe tags. .
    They will,,,,,,in 2years.

Quote Originally Posted by 8andcounting View Post
    Most forest service cabins would be in elk country aren't they ?
    No muleys in elk country? mtmuley

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by muledeerjunkie View Post
    So, would you be deer hunting around Broadus?
    I believe so. We haven't contacted the outfitter yet. Just going off reports from my son's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    They will,,,,,,in 2years.
    +1000000!

I cant believe how long it took them to implement changes after the winter of 10-11. If this winter is just as harsh, ill be really SURPRISED if they adjust accordingly.

Sign me up for the outfitters license. It probably comes with a license to drive a 20 year old suburban too.

If the winter keeps up the only thing to hunt in the fall will be whatever walks into the Stockmans Club for happy hour

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsManyBullets View Post
    Sign me up for the outfitters license. It probably comes with a license to drive a 20 year old suburban too.

If the winter keeps up the only thing to hunt in the fall will be whatever walks into the Stockmans Club for happy hour
    It is not likely you will be trophy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    From the looks of the weather up there, FWP will likely put a bounty on public land mule deer next year, to ensure they don't recover

As is common saying on this forum.... 'Fixed it for ya'

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I believe so. We haven't contacted the outfitter yet. Just going off reports from my son's friend.
    As others have already stated, buy the chip for your GPS and go DIY. Buy good camping gear (from the outfitter money you'll save) and use that gear for your next twenty hunts.
    Life's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you've got.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast