Yeti GOBOX Collection

Crossbow Failures

AtenJones

So, I've just recently started hunting with a crossbow (Ohio) after only using a gun for most of my life. Everything is going well, and I even got a nice doe with it the other night.

Then, tonight I was looking at maintenance online (lubing the rail, waxing the string etc.), and that led me down an internet rabbit hole full of all kinds of horror stories of strings snapping and limbs exploding. And now I'm partially freaked out to put my face up to the scope. So - just out of curiosity, how common is something like that happening? And if it does happen, how dangerous is it (from my understanding, limbs delaminating is a "slow" process that you hear coming) and what can you do to protect yourself?

Thanks!

I do not hunt with a crossbow but my father does in ND after he had surgery on his shoulder. I bought him a used ten point crossbow at a pawnshop at a really really nice price. I think if you are unsure of what to do or what to look for I would take it in to a bow shop and have it checked out. I would guess they would show you what to do for upkeep on it. I am going to do this for my fathers this spring. I think it is like anything else you have to oil changes on a car to keep it running smooth same as you guns and archery equipment.

To answer your question I do not think it is very common. I think taking it in and gaining some knowledge on what to look for and the proper ways to do it would help a lot. If I get my dads in before your questions are answered I will relay the info they give me.

Jamen

I have two close friends who had the inverted limb Hortons come apart. Im pretty sure there was a recall, this was about 7 or 8 years ago. Very scary and dangerous was the description. Asking questions at archery shops and google searching it should tell you about your model.

The worst thing to do with a crossbow is dry fire it. It is very hard to do this with a crossbow because they have a "dry-fire" safety, BUT if it happened, the limbs could be damaged. The main problem with buying a used crossbow is you don't know if the previous owner did something like dry fire it before he sold it. Look very closely at the limbs when they are not under stress (cocked), and see if there are any hairline cracks starting. If it looks good, then @#)(# it, and look again. The cracks will be more visible when the limbs are under stress.
I had a 10 point Wicked Ridge Invader, and there was a recall (about 3 years ago) concerning the limbs cracking. Call the maker of your crossbow, and give them the serial number. They will gladly advise you if there was a recall, and if so, they will pay for return shipping, and get it back to you in three days (10 point did anyway).
Some crossbow limbs are solid, and some are laminated. I understand your concern. I would be more concerned with making sure your hands and fingers are well away from the string when you get ready to fire it. The string will definitely sever fingers when it fires.

I own the Stryker 350 for about 4 yrs now, I've had my issues with it. It's accurate and fast. First problem was the part on the cams that hold the string on let loose and caused the string to blow, scared the crap out of me, but no injuries. Second time I had the lever that's part of the anti-dry fire mechanism break, which wouldn't let my bow fire. That was not fun! I put the cocking rope back on and with one arm took the tension off, then luckily I had my multi-tool and used it to release the string. Almost tore my arm off, but saved my bow from expensive repairs. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a Excalibur. They are a bit noisy, but never heard of any problems with them, no cams or anything fancy, just simple recurve limbs.

I have had an Excalibur Matrix 380 for several years now. I did a lot of research before I made the purchase. There are lots of good crossbows on the market. I chose the Excalibur recurve because of the low maintenance, and no moving parts (wheels). Like many on the market, it is very fast and accurate. I can release the string at the end of a hunt without firing it. It is a very simple piece of equipment. I have taken 6 deer with it. At 35 yards, I don't fire more than one shot at a bullseye on a target. I have had too many "Robin Hoods" and that gets expensive.

I also have the Matrix 380, very simple,fast. Had a limb this year start to "peel", took it back to my dealer and they sent me 2 new limbs,no problem. 1 week after new limbs were installed, had a problem with my scope,could not hold zero, took it back to dealer, 2 weeks later new scope,no problem. Great customer service! I would take your xbow to a reputable pro shop and have them look it over, just to give you confidence and piece of mind.

I've heard the worst thing that can happen if you aren't careful with your grip, the back can pop open and a column of D size batteries can slide out and fall onto your toes.

Back