MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Area 8

Will do,or we could do a cow hunt in 19 or 7 or somewhere not super far from u

That is a nice cow! Have you guys considered a cow hunt in 6?

I hunted a private ranch there in 2014/15. I was going to get a type 4 tag there last season then went with area 8 at the last minute cuz I had a friend with a cabin out there who could update me on the herd whereabouts. Have you hunted it? Area 6 is on my short list for a type 1 tag this season because of the proximity. I've yet to personally see an elk on public land in area 6.

Will do,or we could do a cow hunt in 19 or 7 or somewhere not super far from u

Area 7 is always on my short list for a cow hunt.

Last edited:
I hunted a private ranch there in 2014/15. I was going to get a type 4 tag there last season then went with area 8 at the last minute cuz I had a friend with a cabin out there who could update me on the herd whereabouts. Have you hunted it? Area 6 is on my short list for a type 1 tag this season because of the proximity. I've yet to personally see an elk on public land in area 6.

Area 7 is always on my short list for a cow hunt.

No, but I am always looking for options closer to home. It is only four hours for me to get there. The private land kind of rules most of that area, I think, but have never looked at it all that closely.

What's odd is that I'm from Laramie, and I've never seen a single elk in area 8 until this month.

We might have another kid on the way by then. If so, I'm planning on hunting close to home. PM me if you draw.

You and I are in the same boat, we've got another due this year so that'll put me closer to home this year as far as elk camp. I don't know where I'll be hunting yet, but I know several guys who drew area 6 and did well on national forest, I have witnessed several herds between the pass and Buford. We frequent Laramie due to having some good friends over there plus our favorite pizza joint is in Laramie. Elk are certainly there though!

Seeing your pic above has really got me hoping I can seal the deal this time. I made the mistake of hunting 8 in September this year (way too early) Didn't have too much of a choice on date due to work schedule so I crossed my fingers in hopes of running into the resident elk on Jelm and Red. Saw a bunch of moose on Jelm zero elk though. Another week of vacation I have to burn has opened up so I'm heading back out that way in early December hoping to fill my cow tag. It's a two day drive (from VA TN border) so I'm hoping I can go into it with a little more brains than I did a few months ago.

Don’t forget to get yourself a Cherokee Park HMA permission slip. If Cherokee park road is drifted, don’t try to bust through the snow. You WILL get stuck.
Just got my Cherokee Park HMA slip on Friday. That was a really good idea and suggestion and I appreciate it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back