Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Area 8

jtm307

I have a cow tag for this area and have hunted it several non-consecutive days starting in November. I've been on Red Mountain twice, Jelm Mountain once, and each accessible state section near Tie Siding twice. I've yet to see any sign of elk beyond some old tracks in the snow. I'm not to the point of being discouraged yet because I expected January to be the best time to hunt the unit, but I'm interested to know if anyone has any personal experience hunting in this unit they're willing to share. I'll be going out again this weekend, to both Tie Siding and Jelm. I'm praying the snow pushes them into the public land.

It was a success. I ran into four different hunters/landowners this past weekend, all had valuable tidbits of information. Sunday evening I found a herd of elk 70 yards from public land. I came back the next morning hoping they would cross the boundary overnight. Viola! Meat shortage over.

Congrats that's great. Can't wait to try WY in September!

That's awesome, glad you got it done. Get any pictures? I drive through that area often on our way to Saratoga or Steamboat and I can't think of a single time that we haven't almost ran into a elk, deer or speed goat.

Awesome! Glad you were able to finally find some on the public land. Looks like a very healthy cow. Did you have to pack her out by yourself? Way to fill the freezer.

Did you have to pack her out by yourself?

I was with a friend who had a tag for the unit as well. Unfortunately he didn't fill his yet. We both felt a little rushed because we thought the herd was on the move toward private land. We stumbled on two cows and a spike through a small shooting window @ 50 yards. He was ready first so I told him to go for it while I got situated. He didn't have a clear shot but I did so I shot her. We didn't know it at the time, but the whole herd was less than a hundred yards over the ridge we were on, many bedded down. Had we taken our time, we'd likely have packed out 2 animals instead of one - another valuable lesson learned.

That area can be hard due to the elk movements. Sometimes the elk stay in Colorado, hunters do not at times. Access can be hard due to road closures to protect the deer herd. Congrats on the harvest!! Looks like you found some good advice from the landowners, that is a great thing to hear.

I wish I could get back out.I had my chances so it was a good hunt.I may draw it in random drawing this year.I have 1 in 4 odds.

I wish I could get back out.I had my chances so it was a good hunt.I may draw it in random drawing this year.I have 1 in 4 odds.

I went to the HMA last weekend. We saw more bulls than cows. I bumped a small group of cows. I was lying prone @400 yards and they were all in a line facing directly away. I calf-called. The lead cow gave me enough of her neck for a shot... if I was a sharpshooter. That shot was way too risky for my rifle and shooting skills. My wife and I watched them go over the ridge, snow much too deep for bird dogging them, and that's how my elk season ended. We saw lots of elk on the drive back to Cheyenne.

Congratulations! A lot of us are still hoping to get our first chance to even chase one.
Great job sticking with it!

Saw several hundred along 287 last Friday. Something or someone had their attention.

You planning to get that tag again.I'm going to take a chance in random and would enjoy hunting with u again

Saw several hundred along 287 last Friday. Something or someone had their attention.

What's odd is that I'm from Laramie, and I've never seen a single elk in area 8 until this month.

You planning to get that tag again.I'm going to take a chance in random and would enjoy hunting with u again

I want to get back out there but I'm not sure this will be the year. We might have another kid on the way by then. If so, I'm planning on hunting close to home. PM me if you draw. A lot could change between now and May.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back