Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado statewide sheep and goat raffle

Oak

Expert
Tickets are now available for the statewide Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and pronghorn raffle licenses.
Winners can hunt for up to 5 months (unit and weapon specific) in any open unit in the state. The sheep and goat hunts
can be as easy or difficult as you want them to be. I will personally be processing every ticket order you make, so put me
to work. Thanks to Big Fin for approving this post.

The 2016 sheep raffle winner:

RaffleRam3.jpg

The 2016 mountain goat winner:

RaffleGoat1small.jpg

The 2016 pronghorn winner:

RafflePronghorn1small.jpg

Did you hand pick 2 out of 3 of last years winners. ;) I'm thinking I don't stand a chance.

Oak, is there any difference if we buy them @ ISE (i.e. Will you still hand-process them :) )

And for any doubters, I happened to be sat next to the 2015 antelope tag winner on a plane back from Anchorage the summer he won. And the guy I bought my tickets from @ ISE last year won the goat tag. Photo evidence notwithstanding, all us ugly mugs have a shot.

It would be really cool if someone from Hunt Talk won one of these tags. I'll volunteer for the sheep tag.

Fixed it for everyone

It would be really cool if someone from Hunt Talk won one of these tags. Especially if it was Dinkshooter.

I am no sheep expert, but that looks like a toad of a ram.

I heard he went 185. I applied for that unit for several years dreaming of him. There are a ton of live pictures of him out there. he was even on the cover of the RMBS rag.

I'm trying a new strategy this year... I'm just going to buy raffle tickets with no intention of winning anything... Just helping out to better things for such a marvelous species...wink.. wink..

A toad for sure. Does it look like the left curl got broomed sometime after he took the picture on the hillside to when he is holding it in his shop?

Question for Oak.

Never hunted sheep or goat in my home state. What are the odds of a good hunt in Colorado? 100% for a good hunt . It is hunting. But, for a successful hunt, without experience, is 5 % realistic?

Just wondering.

Question for Oak.

Never hunted sheep or goat in my home state. What are the odds of a good hunt in Colorado? 100% for a good hunt . It is hunting. But, for a successful hunt, without experience, is 5 % realistic?

Just wondering.

I created a spreadsheet in 2015 to look at ram offtake rates from each bighorn herd statewide over 5 years, 2010 to 2014. One calculation included in that spreadsheet is 5 year average success rates, archery and rifle, for each unit and statewide. The 5 year ram average success rate was 63% for rifle hunters and 33% for archery hunters.

I know that overall success rates for mountain goats averages around 81-82%, but I don't know the breakout between archery and rifle. We only have 3 units with archery licenses, but many rifle hunters choose to use a bow.

I think that if a person does their homework, gets in good shape, and avoids the units with historically low success rates, they have a pretty good chance of being successful with a rifle.

Oak, do you know how many tickets (sheep in particular) were bought last year? I usually buy one or two every year, just curious about the odds.

Oak, do you know how many tickets (sheep in particular) were bought last year? I usually buy one or two every year, just curious about the odds.
We sold approximately 3,656 sheep tickets last year.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back