Garmin InReach

Doesn't surprise me. They bought DeLorme for a reason. In my eyes it's the best of both worlds. I can see reasons to not have your gps and your emergency communication in the same device (too many eggs in one basket) but I can see lots of reasons to not worry about that.

Garmin's own model seems to do the exact same thing as the SE and Explorer... I see nothing different other than a slight larger unit to pack... Either way, they are great devices! Fantastic, in fact! Discounts sound great as they will be a continued line within Garmin now that they have their hands wrapped around Iridium satellite coverage - MUCH BETTER than Spot Globalstar satellite coverage, of course this is just my humble opinion... humble indeed. :)

If the mapping capability on this device is similar to their top end GPS's I may have a reason to upgrade from my PN-60 and 1st Gen InReach. That'd be slick as heck. It'd be greased pig slick if it can blue tooth to a phone for a better keyboard. I don't want to spend the money, but it'd be hard not too.

If the mapping capability on this device is similar to their top end GPS's I may have a reason to upgrade from my PN-60 and 1st Gen InReach. That'd be slick as heck. It'd be greased pig slick if it can blue tooth to a phone for a better keyboard. I don't want to spend the money, but it'd be hard not too.

With the earthmate app you load to your phone, it does connect the device via bluetooth to your phone so that you can use the phone's keyboard or talk to text feature. That's how my SE is, but I don't know if they changed that with the Garmin versions.

With the earthmate app you load to your phone, it does connect the device via bluetooth to your phone so that you can use the phone's keyboard or talk to text feature. That's how my SE is, but I don't know if they changed that with the Garmin versions.
I figure that is the case, but since they show a "keyboard" on the device I'm not sure. Doesn't matter much to me in the short run as I'll probably just keep chugging along with my Delorme GPS and old model InReach as I'm cheap.

Received a response from Garmin regarding onXmaps:

onXmaps support (onXmaps HUNT)
Jan 9, 14:46 MST

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately our HUNT chips will not work with the inReach as they did not include a micro sd card slot.
Thanks!
-onXmaps support

Just picked up a Garmin Inreach today, the communication advantages that this device has caused me to drop the Spot subscription and try this thing out. Sure do wish it would support an onXmap chip... at least i can get onXmaps on my phone.

Technology scares me and I'm too afraid of something breaking down. I use the inreach, and my phone paired to it, plus my old school GPS with chip. I can still send messages from the unit if my phone dies and still have my GPS and chip seperately from my phone. To me, the weight is not a deal breaker for me since I don't bivy in 5 miles with a camp on my back. I just like having plan A, B, and C if needed.

Technology scares me and I'm too afraid of something breaking down. I use the inreach, and my phone paired to it, plus my old school GPS with chip. I can still send messages from the unit if my phone dies and still have my GPS and chip seperately from my phone. To me, the weight is not a deal breaker for me since I don't bivy in 5 miles with a camp on my back. I just like having plan A, B, and C if needed.

John, I think thats what i will do. I have a Garmin 64st with a chip, i can just have it with me as a backup. I haven't used the onxmap phone app on a hunt yet, just around town, so probably a good idea to have both with me.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back