Black Coyote in eastern North Carolina

Capture+_2016-11-07-16-52-47-1.jpg
Sorry this is not a wolf but i did not see a coyote thread.
Sitting in the stand hunting whitetails on a nippy morning, and this guy pops his head up out of some high grass on a ditch bank of a field.
Anyone else seen a black coyote or killed one?

Never seen one... But very cool. Do a quick search on color phase coyotes. Seems like they get a few out east.

I haven't seen a black one personally but I have known them to exist. This deer season I saw one of the lightest colored coyotes that I have ever seen. It was almost a dirty blonde, almost the color of a golden retriever. Never got a shot at it.

I know of a few that have been killed in NC this year. I'm starting to hear more and more black coyotes killed every year around here. A buddy of mine shot one Christmas weekend. That does look like a pretty one. What's odd is that, I've noticed all of the ones that I've heard of were females. Is that one a male? May be just coincidence.
Anyway, welcome fellow N. Carolinian!

If I were to ever mount a coyote, it would be that one. Definitely, would be keeping the hide.

Really is a pretty animal and love the white spot.

I had a black/charcoal one around my place a few years back. Never did get him but saw quite often and boy did he stand out in the snow. I think the neighbor ended up getting him in a snare.

Very cool, I have never personally saw one but a neighbor shot one a few years back and had it mounted

I missed a charcoal one this past summer but that one is outstanding. At least get the hide tanned. Well done.

I heard a seminar a few years ago about eastern coyotes. The guy said he had never tested one that had anything but coyote dna. He showed some pelts of his that ranged from white to black. It was pretty cool. I don't know what his thoughts were on wolves being bred I to coyotes but he was adamant that donestic dogs were not the reason for color variations.

Very nice coyote. My dad missed a charcoal one last year. Your coyote would make a great mount.

That's pretty cool. I had one at 30 yards this season, first I thought it was a wolf, then I realized how small it was, didn't even know there was such a thing, so I passed thinking it was someone's dog. Later after thinking about it and much debate with my buddy who was convinced it was a young wolf I googled it and realized that there is such a thing as black yote.

Had 2 run in on me this year while spring gobbler turkey hunting in va. Took a shot at one but didn't kill it

I have trapped and shot right many here in central NC. There doesn't seem to be more female to me. I have had good luck selling on taxidermy market for 100 to as much as 150 I got from a guy in Utah. I think some areas just have that color and I see them year after year on same farms. Shot one while deer hunting this year like you. Good job and I bet you kill another one there again some day.

More NC folks on here than I thought!

I know of LOTS of coyotes that got killed this year during deer season in NC, I got one myself. Never saw a black in person but know of one or two killed nearby.
I've seen a couple with a lot of red tint to them but I guess thats not really uncommon.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back